1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Singly Ionized Li, Perturbation and Integral Help!

1. Mar 8, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An approximate value for the ground state energy of a two electron atom can be found by starting with the energy of two noninteracting electrons in 1s states and calculating the first order correction due to the perturbation [itex]V= \frac{ {e}^{2} }{ 4 \pi {\epsilon}_{0} } \frac{ 1 }{ \left |{r}_{1}-{r}_{2} \right |}[/itex]. Perform the necessary integration and find an estimate for the ground state energy of singly ionized Li.

2. Relevant equations and attempt at solution

First, I recognize the Hamiltonian of the unperturbed system as that of two Hydrogenic Hamiltonians with modified nucleonic charges:
    [itex] {H}^{0} = \left[ - \frac{ {\hbar}^{2} }{ 2m } { {\nabla}_{1} }^{2} - \frac{1}{4 \pi {\epsilon}_{0}} \frac{3{e}^{2}}{{r}_{1}} \right ] + \left[ - \frac{ {\hbar}^{2} }{2m} {{\nabla}_{2}}^{2} - \frac{1}{4 \pi {\epsilon}_{0}} \frac{3{e}^{2}}{{r}_{2}} \right ][/itex]

And for the perturbation, we consider:
    [itex]H= {H}^{0} + \frac{ {e}^{2} }{ 4 \pi {\epsilon}_{0} } \frac{ 1 }{ \left |{r}_{1}-{r}_{2} \right |}[/itex]

The Schrodinger Equation for [itex]{H}^{0}[/itex] separates:
    [itex] \psi ({r}_{1},{r}_{2}) = {\psi}_{nlm}({r}_{1}){\psi}_{n'l'm'}({r}_{2})[/itex]

The ground state, of course (propagating the nucleonic charge through) will be:
    [itex] {\psi}_{0} = \frac{27}{ \pi {a}^{3} } {e}^{-3({r}_{1} + {r}_{2})/a} [/itex] where a is the Bohr radius.

Question: I'm a little hazy on perturbations, and I'm not sure how to go about finishing this problem, and where *exactly* the integration comes in. Could someone just lay out the steps I need to take? (and of course, I'll go through with the actual calculations, just seeing how the structure would be very enlightening)

My best guess is to integrate [itex] \int_{- \infty }^{ \infty } V dr [/itex], but a friend mentioned that it should be a six-fold integral. Any ideas? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2007 #2

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The equation for first order perturbation theory (for non-degenerate states) is simply
    [itex] \int \psi_0^* H_{pert} \psi_0 [/tex]
    which here means an integral over the six coordinates.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?