Singularity of atomic particle characteristics.

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of determinism and whether an atomic particle's characteristics, such as velocity, can have a single value at any given instant in time. It was mentioned that certain characteristics, like mass and charge, are constant, while others, like momentum and position, are probabilistic and unknown before measurement. The question was then posed if there is an experiment that could be performed to determine if a particle's velocity is always a single value at an instant in time, and if there is an interpretation that prohibits this. Ultimately, it was concluded that this may be a philosophical question and not within the scope of scientific discussion.
Bob Bartlett
At any instant in time, for an atomic particle, are its characteristics singular?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean?

At an instant in time, is each characteristic of a particle (e.g. momentum, location, etc) a single value.

That depends on the characteristic. I believe some characteristics, such as mass or charge, are always constant. However, some are inherently probabilistic and can't even be known without a measurement. Momentum and position are two such characteristics. It isn't even possible to say what the momentum or position of a particle is prior to measuring that particle.

Likes Bob Bartlett
Thank you for your prompt reply. I should have been clearer.

Before any attempt to perform any observation of a particle, at some instant in time is its velocity a single value?

Bob Bartlett said:
Before any attempt to perform any observation of a particle, at some instant in time is its velocity a single value?

No, it is also not knowable. It's sometimes difficult to even attribute a velocity to a subatomic particle, especially if it is in a bound state.

Please realize that I am not asking if any of these properties can be can be "known". My question is:
Bob Bartlett said:

Do you understand my question?

What kind of experiment could be performed, even in principle, to answer your question? In other words, what experiment would lead you to conclude "yes, before any attempt to perform any observation of a particle, at some instant in time its velocity is a single value".

If there is no such experiment which could someday be performed then the question is philosophical rather than scientific.

Likes Bob Bartlett
Bob Bartlett said:
Bob Bartlett said:
Do you understand my question?

Yes, Drakkith does understand
But you seem not to be understanding his answer

PRIOR to measurement the properties you mentioned of that particle are unknown

Dave

-

Last edited:
To all, thank you for participating.

You may see my objective. To me this seems to be the first question in a discussion of determinism. So is it philosophical? At least a part of it is probably philosophical. That doesn't make it a bad question.

So another version of the question could be:

Is there an interpretation of any principle that prohibits a particle from having a single value of velocity at an instant in time?

And if so please explain how you got there.

Bob Bartlett said:
So is it philosophical? At least a part of it is probably philosophical. That doesn't make it a bad question
Certainly it is not a bad question, but we only address scientific questions here. So this isn't the place for it.

This thread is closed. But if you think of a related scientific question then we can certainly discuss that in a new thread.

Last edited:

What is the singularity of atomic particle characteristics?

The singularity of atomic particle characteristics refers to the point at which the properties of an individual atomic particle become indistinguishable from each other. This means that at the singularity, all atomic particles exhibit the same characteristics.

How is the singularity of atomic particle characteristics related to quantum mechanics?

The singularity of atomic particle characteristics is a concept that arises from quantum mechanics, which studies the behavior of particles on a very small scale. According to quantum mechanics, particles can exist in multiple states at the same time, but at the singularity, these states collapse into a single, indistinguishable state.

What are some examples of atomic particle characteristics?

Atomic particle characteristics include properties such as mass, charge, spin, and energy. These properties are intrinsic to each particle and determine how it interacts with other particles and its environment.

Why is the singularity of atomic particle characteristics important to understand?

Understanding the singularity of atomic particle characteristics is crucial in fields such as quantum physics, chemistry, and materials science. It allows scientists to accurately predict and manipulate the behavior of particles, leading to advancements in technology and our understanding of the universe.

Is the singularity of atomic particle characteristics a proven concept?

The singularity of atomic particle characteristics is a theoretical concept that is supported by experimental evidence in the field of quantum mechanics. However, it is still a subject of ongoing research and debate among scientists.