Sinusoids and Phasors (Micro-Cap)

In summary, the conversation is about a practical exercise on Sinusoids and Phasors where the circuit is given and the goal is to calculate the voltage and current for each component and then measure them using Micro-Cap. The person has calculated the values and is asking for confirmation. They also mention using Micro-Cap version 10.0.8 and not getting sensible results. Another person suggests using LTspice instead and asks for more specific details about the issue with Micro-Cap. The original person then explains the issue they are having with calculating the voltage drop across the capacitor.
EmBista

Homework Statement

attachment.php?attachmentid=48629&stc=1&d=1340703228.jpg

Hi,

I've been trying to figure this out for a while, its really annoying because it should be straight forward but its troubling me a lot.

The exercise is a practical on Sinusoids and Phasors. We are given the circuit and have to first calculate the voltage and current for each component and then 'measure' using Micro-Cap.

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated these to be:
V1: 2.360∠3.68°V ____ I1: 1.18∠3.68°mA
V2: 1.878∠-86.32°V __ I2: 1.18∠3.68°mA
V3: 3.030∠34.51°V ___ I3: 1.01∠34.51°mA
V4: 3.030∠34.51°V ___ I4: 0.61∠-55.18°mA

Can anyone confirm these?

Also, does anyone have any experience with micro-cap?
I am using version 10.0.8 and the results from the analysis on microcap don't make sense at all. So I have a few questions on how to set this up.

Thank you

Attachments

• CCT.jpg
    CCT.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 571
Physics news on Phys.org
Your calculated values appear to be fine.

I've never used MicroCap, but I assume it's a Spice engine of some form; I use LTspice when I need a simulation. In what way do the results in MicroCap not make sense? Can you be more specific?

In MicroCap we were supposed to draw the circuit and measure the voltages and estimate the phase angle.

I did this correctly, however for the voltage across the capacitor I calculated it to be 1.878∠-86.32°V but when I look at the graph and I calculate the voltage drop (2.64-3.049=-0.409)

I must be doing this wrong?

attachment.php?attachmentid=48741&stc=1&d=1340971213.jpg

Attachments

• Voltages.jpg
    Voltages.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 530

What are sinusoids and phasors?

Sinusoids are mathematical functions that describe periodic oscillations, such as sound waves or electromagnetic waves. Phasors are a way of representing sinusoidal signals in the frequency domain.

How are sinusoids and phasors used in Micro-Cap?

In Micro-Cap, sinusoids and phasors are used to analyze and simulate electrical circuits. The software allows users to input sinusoidal signals and view their corresponding phasor representations.

What is the difference between a sinusoid and a phasor?

A sinusoid is a time-domain representation of a periodic signal, while a phasor is a frequency-domain representation of the same signal. Sinusoids are typically plotted on a time axis, while phasors are plotted on a complex plane.

Can Micro-Cap simulate non-sinusoidal signals?

Yes, Micro-Cap has the capability to simulate non-sinusoidal signals, such as square waves, triangular waves, and sawtooth waves. These signals can also be represented using phasors in the frequency domain.

Why are sinusoids and phasors important in circuit analysis?

Sinusoids and phasors are important in circuit analysis because they allow for a simplified and efficient way to analyze complex circuits. By using phasors, calculations can be done in the frequency domain, which is often easier and more intuitive than working in the time domain.