Size of nuclei wave function in a crystal

In summary, the conversation is about the typical extension of the spatial wavefunction of an atomic nucleus in a crystal, specifically in the case of a Germanium crystal. The person is asking for the actual number of the size of the nuclei wavefunctions and references (articles or books) where they can find this information. The conversation also mentions the person's expertise in solid state and their possible lack of knowledge in quantum mechanics.
Shikatsuki
I need to know what is the typical extention of the (spatial) wavefunction of an atomic nucleus in a crystal, in particular I am interested to the case of a Germanium cristal.

Please together with the actual number of the size of the nuclei wavefunctions, let me know the references (articles or books) where I can find these informations.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Shikatsuki, :welcome:

You tag this with an 'advanced' label, so PhD level. Or is that a coincidence? You are a solid state expert and seem a bit lost in QM ?

Did you search yourself too ? What did you find and what search terms did you use ?
PF culture more or less requires some own initiative prior to posting. Your thread looks slightly haphazard -- but I could be mistaken. Please provide some more context and narrow down tot the issues you can't resolve by yourself.
I googled 'vibration amplitudes in metal lattice' and got plenty of good suggestions...

https://lib.dr.iastate.edu/cgi/view...gle.nl/&httpsredir=1&article=3390&context=rtd

https://www.itp.tu-berlin.de/fileadmin/a3233/upload/SS12/TheoFest2012/Kapitel/Chapter7.pdf

In short: google is your friend.

Last edited:

1. What is the significance of the size of nuclei wave function in a crystal?

The size of nuclei wave function in a crystal is an important factor in determining the properties and behavior of the crystal. It affects the energy levels and electronic structure of the crystal, which in turn affects its mechanical, thermal, and optical properties.

2. How does the size of nuclei wave function affect the stability of a crystal?

The size of nuclei wave function plays a crucial role in the stability of a crystal. If the size is too large, the nuclei will overlap and cause repulsion, leading to instability. On the other hand, if the size is too small, the nuclei will not interact enough, resulting in a weakly bonded and unstable crystal.

3. Can the size of nuclei wave function be controlled in a crystal?

While the size of nuclei wave function is mostly determined by the atomic structure of the crystal, it can be influenced by external factors such as temperature, pressure, and doping. By manipulating these factors, scientists can control the size of nuclei wave function and thereby alter the properties of the crystal.

4. How does the size of nuclei wave function vary in different types of crystals?

The size of nuclei wave function varies greatly between different types of crystals, depending on their composition, structure, and bonding. For example, metallic crystals tend to have smaller nuclei wave functions due to their strong bonding, while covalent crystals have larger nuclei wave functions due to their weaker bonding.

5. What techniques are used to measure the size of nuclei wave function in a crystal?

There are several techniques used to measure the size of nuclei wave function in a crystal, including X-ray diffraction, neutron scattering, and electron microscopy. These techniques provide information about the atomic structure and spacing within the crystal, which can then be used to calculate the size of nuclei wave function.