Size of observable vs UN-observable Universe, etc

In summary, the diameter of the observable universe was approximately 10 centimeters, but the diameter of the UN-observable Universe was a good deal larger, with a diameter of approximately 1,513,728,000,000 kilometers (.16 light year).
Stan Stuchinski
I understand that these distances are speculative, but I am given to understand that, at the end of inflation, the diameter of the OBSERVABLE Universe was approximately 10 centimeters. However, the diameter of the UN-OBSERVABLE Universe was a good deal larger, with a diameter of approximately 1,513,728,000,000 kilometers (.16 light year).

Until the discovery that the Universal expansion is accelerating, I believe it was assumed that an ever larger portion of the UN-observable Universe would become visible to us (i.e. more and more galaxies that were previously outside our “light cone”).

However, now that we know that the Universe is expanding at an ACCELERATING rate, I believe that this trend has been reversed, and that LESS of the observable Universe will be visible to us until, in the far future, only our own Milky Way galaxy will be visible to us.

Can anyone tell me if my view is accurate?

Thanks in advance for your time,

Stan

Space news on Phys.org
I think the size of the OU can be extrapolated back from the expansion rate (which has not been constant) but requires some assumptions and I don't know/remember what the general figure is. I've seen everything from "the size of an atom" to "the size of a grapefruit".

Any figure about the size of the unobservable universe is pure speculation. It could be infinite (in which case it was always infinite). There does seem to be general agreement that it is at least many orders of magnitude larger than the observable universe.

In the cosmologically short term, we will see a little bit more of the universe (this gets complicated). In the long term the galaxies in our local cluster will be all that is in our observable universe.

@marcus generally gives the best answers to this kind of question, particularly the part about seeing a bit more in the short term.

phinds said:
think the size of the OU can be extrapolated back from the expansion rate (which has not been constant) but requires some assumptions and I don't know/remember what the general figure is. I've seen everything from "the size of an atom" to "the size of a grapefruit".

Yes, I've seen the same figures ("size of an atom to the size of a grapefruit"). The reason I chose 10 centimeters (size of a grapefruit) is because that is the figure I've most often seen in popularized versions of inflation.

phinds said:
Any figure about the size of the unobservable universe is pure speculation. It could be infinite (in which case it was always infinite). There does seem to be general agreement that it is at least many orders of magnitude larger than the observable universe.

Yes, of course, the size of the UN-observable Universe must be pure speculation. The figure I quoted (1,513,728,000,000 kilometers - .16 light year) was the figure I got from a YouTube video presented by a practicing astrophysicist who used a formula to derive that figure. This would mean that the diameter of the UN-observable Universe would be orders of magnitude larger than the observable Universe, and the ratio of observable vs unobservable would remain constant until the resumption of acceleration, about 5 billion years ago. By-the-way, I'm not an "infinity" kinda guy; I find the concept of an infinite Universe to be unacceptable.

phinds said:
In the cosmologically short term, we will see a little bit more of the universe (this gets complicated). In the long term the galaxies in our local cluster will be all that is in our observable universe.

Excellent! Then, essentially, my perception was accurate. I appreciate the feedback, and your courtesy,

Stan

Stan Stuchinski said:
I find the concept of an infinite Universe to be unacceptable.
Well, you're not alone in that but the universe doesn't care what you think, it just does what it does. There are LOTS of things in cosmology and Quantum Mechanics that people find unacceptable but they are true none-the-less. This could just be another of them but so far we don't know.

1. What is the difference between the observable and unobservable universe?

The observable universe refers to the portion of the universe that we are able to observe through telescopes and other instruments. It is estimated to have a radius of about 46.5 billion light-years. The unobservable universe, on the other hand, refers to the parts of the universe that are beyond our reach and cannot be observed due to the limitations of the speed of light and the age of the universe.

2. How do scientists determine the size of the observable universe?

The size of the observable universe is estimated by measuring the distance to the farthest objects that can be observed, which are typically galaxies. This is done using various methods, such as redshift measurements and the cosmic microwave background radiation.

3. Is the size of the observable universe constant?

No, the size of the observable universe is not constant. As the universe expands, the observable universe also grows larger. However, the rate of expansion is not constant and can vary over time.

4. Is the unobservable universe infinite?

It is currently unknown whether the unobservable universe is infinite or not. Some theories suggest that it is infinite, while others propose that it has a finite size. More research and observations are needed to determine the true nature of the unobservable universe.

5. Will we ever be able to observe the entire universe?

No, it is highly unlikely that we will ever be able to observe the entire universe. As the universe continues to expand, more and more of it will become unobservable to us. Additionally, the expansion of the universe is accelerating, making it even more difficult for us to ever reach the edge of the observable universe.