Sketch Curves: y=5x^(3/4), y=-2x^(-3/2)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
Harmony
Messages
201
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Sketch the curves with the following equations:
a) y=5x^(3/4)
b) y=-2x^(-3/2)

Homework Equations


The general equation of curves (circles, parabola, ellipse, hyperbola)

The Attempt at a Solution


It seems to me that this question is not exactly a coordinate geometry question. At first, I thought this is a parametric equation, but parametric equation use t instead of y. Then, I thought of substituting x with some other things. But that fails as well. (The fraction power make it not rational to be substituted by x^2, x^3 and so on.) The equation doesn't resemble general equation circles, parabola, ellipse, or hyperbola.

How should I attempt this question? Is equation of curves really useful to solve this question?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You are given two functions y(x). Start with finding their domains.
 
There are other basic graphs of functions, so these would be some of them. Perahps it would be easier for you to re-write the fractional exponents. Well, that would be if you have gotten to that (or know how to).

I will let you know though, both of those equations don't resemble a circle, parabola, ellipse, or hyperbola.

As I said, try manipulating the exponents.
 
As pointed out, these are not quadratic functions and so their graphs are not conic-sections (circle, ellipse, hyperbola, parabola). Basically, just calculate y for a number of x values and draw a smooth curve through the points. As radou said, you'd better check the domains.