Sketch Graph: Domain 0<x<12 | f' Increasing, f''<0

• MHB
  • Thread starter riri
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph
In summary, the question is asking for a graph with specific features: a domain of 0<x<12, increasing f' on (-inf,3), decreasing f' on (3,6), concave up on (6,9), and an inflection point at x=9. The strategy for drawing this graph is to make an upwards curve to the left of (3,6) to represent the increasing f', and a downwards curve to the right of (3,6) to represent the decreasing f'. However, this may not result in a perfect x^3 shape as the inflection point at x=9 may cause the curve to change direction.
riri
Hi!

I'm struggling with this question. I'm supposed to draw a graph that follows and has these features:
- Domain of f is0<x<12
- f′ is increasing on (−∞,3)
- f′′ <0 on (3,6)
- f′ is Concave Up on (6, 9)
- f has infelction point at x=9!

I don't know if I can get help because this is a drawing graph question... but rightnow, I plotted the important points. I'm confused on how to draw the "f' is increasing on (-inf,3) and f"<0 on (3,6).
Is there a strategy for these types of questions? Please any help would be appreciated thankyou! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey riri!

Since $f'$ is increasing on $(−\infty ,3)$, we have that $f$ is concave up on that interval.

Since $f''<0$ on $(3,6)$, we have that $f'$ is decreasing on that interval, that means that $f$ is concave down on that interval.

Hi! Thank you! I'm still a bit confused:confused:

So I'm just stuck on how the graph is going to look. From the info, so basically, to the left of the point (3,6), would I draw a upwards graph curve to make a concave up? And to the right of point (3,6) would I draw the graph facing / going downards direction because it's concave down?

But wouldn't that make an x^3 shape which doesn't? have a concave up or down?
Sorry I'm just confused :(

1. What does "Domain 0

The domain 0

2. How can you tell that f' is increasing in a sketch graph?

In a sketch graph, f' increasing means that the slope of the graph is getting steeper as x increases. This is shown by a positive slope and an upward trend in the graph.

3. What does f''<0 indicate in a sketch graph?

F''<0 means that the second derivative of the graph is negative, indicating a concave down shape. This means that the graph is curving downward and the slope is decreasing.

4. Can a sketch graph have more than one turning point with the given information?

Yes, a sketch graph can have more than one turning point even with the given information of f' increasing and f''<0. This is because the given information only describes the behavior of the graph near the turning points, but it can have other sections with different behavior.

5. How can you use this information to analyze the behavior of the graph?

The given information can be used to determine the general shape and behavior of the graph. The domain tells us where the graph is defined, while f' increasing and f''<0 give us an idea of the slope and curvature of the graph. However, more information is needed to accurately sketch the graph and make precise conclusions about its behavior.