1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Function of a given derivative (calc I)

1. Sep 20, 2008 #1
    I was given a graph of a derivative, f'(x), and I have determined that it's formula is:
    It wants to know what the function f(x) is, as in the formula given that f(1)=0. I would be able to do this except I can't figure out what the function would BASICALLY look like! what would the function f(x) look like if its derivative is f'(x)=abs(x)? I know that the value of the derivative increases until x=1, where it then decreases, so it has somewhat of a mound shape, and the point (1,1) exists on the function of the derivative, so would it be a peak? i know it cant be an asymptote, but is a peak some kind of exception where the derivative ressembles the function itself?

I just need a push in the right direction of what the original function may look like.:confused:
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

Note that

|x| = \begin{cases}
    \hphantom{-}x, & \text{ if } x \ge 0\\
    -x, & \text{ if } x < 0
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?