Skew scattering and its proportional behaviour to conductivity

In summary, the conversation discusses the skew scattering effect in relation to the spin hall effect and its behavior in clean and unclean materials. It is mentioned that the skew scattering contribution is stronger in cleaner materials, which is counterintuitive since it is expected to be stronger in materials with more impurities. This is based on the idea that the skew scattering is proportional to the momentum relaxation time, which doesn't make sense because a shorter relaxation time would result in more scattering and therefore a stronger contribution to the spin current. The paper "Hoffmann-2013-Spin hall effect in Metals" is referenced as a source of information on this topic, but the individual is still seeking a physical explanation for this behavior. It is also noted that the
JanSpintronics
Hallo guys,Im kinda confused about something and hope you can help me. Let me introduce you to it.

we take a look on one Mechanismen to the spin hall effect, skew scattering effect. i just read that you can see this contribution only in the clean Limit. So that's really strange for me cause the skew scattering should be stronger if you have more impurities, so why it is stronger if you have a cleaner material?

That whole Argumentation is based on the Thing that the skew scattering is proportional to the so called Momentum Relaxation time. Thats the Point which doesn't make sense to me because the time tells you Long it will take when an electron will get scatter. For skew scattering it should be invers proportional to it cause if your electrons Momentum Relaxation time is Shorter, you get more scattering. And therefore more contribution to a spin current.

You can read it in several papers, especially in Hoffmann-2013-Spin hall effect in Metals. I really have no physical Picture why the skew scattering mechanism is behave like that but maybe you.
Ist also the same strange Thing with the intrinsic contribution which is strong in the unclean Regime of an regarded material. Why isn't here the skew scattering the stronger one?

Physics news on Phys.org
Does nobody can help me with that?

There are some things that could help your chances of getting a response. First, try to improve your grammar and punctuation. Second, you could put up any equations or variables you are talking about using LaTeX. Third, upload the paper with a reference to the equation number or figure or whatever. In essence, make it easier for people to help you.

1. What is skew scattering and how does it relate to conductivity?

Skew scattering is a phenomenon that occurs when electrons are scattered by impurities or defects in a material. It is called "skew" because the scattered electrons have a slightly different momentum than the incident electrons. This can lead to anisotropic behavior in the material, which affects its conductivity.

2. How does the proportionality between skew scattering and conductivity work?

The proportionality between skew scattering and conductivity is based on the fact that the scattering of electrons leads to a decrease in their mean free path. This means that the electrons are more likely to collide with other particles, which in turn increases the material's resistance and decreases its conductivity.

3. What factors can affect the strength of skew scattering in a material?

The strength of skew scattering depends on several factors, including the type and concentration of impurities or defects in the material, the temperature, and the strength of the applied magnetic field. In general, a higher concentration of impurities or defects will lead to stronger skew scattering and a decrease in conductivity.

4. How does skew scattering affect the overall electrical properties of a material?

Skew scattering can have a significant impact on the electrical properties of a material. It can lead to anisotropic behavior in the material, meaning that its electrical conductivity may vary depending on the direction of the applied electric field. This can also affect the material's magnetoresistance, or the change in resistance in the presence of a magnetic field.

5. Can skew scattering be controlled or manipulated in a material?

Skew scattering is a natural phenomenon that occurs in materials with impurities or defects. However, it can be influenced or controlled by changing certain parameters, such as the concentration of impurities or the strength of the magnetic field. This can be useful in designing materials with specific electrical properties for various applications.