1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ski Slope using Energy Conservation

1. Dec 1, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

It's been a great day of new, frictionless snow. Julie starts at the top of the 60 degree slope shown in the figure . At the bottom, a circular arc carries her through a 90 turn, and she then launches off a 3.0--high ramp. How far horizontally is her touchdown point from the end of the ramp?

10.P49.jpg

2. Relevant equations

Ug = mgh
    K = 0.5mv2
    Kinematics equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know I need to use energy conservation to find the kinetic energy at the end of the ramp so I can find the velocity of the skier then, but I do not know how I can find Ug at the top of the ramp without knowing the skier's mass (too many unknowns). Once I know the initial Ug or Kmax I know how to solve the problem, but I'm having trouble getting there.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2009 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Never mind the mass, it will cancel. Just use m for the mass or any number you like.

ehild

4. Dec 1, 2009 #3
    Thanks ehild, got it.

5. Dec 16, 2009 #4
    Just wondering how the launch angle is determined in this question?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook