Why is mgh equal to mgx in this conservation of energy problem?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Lori

Homework Statement


upload_2017-12-9_17-8-42.png


Homework Equations


W spring = 1/2kx^2
Ug = mgh

The Attempt at a Solution


I have the work in the above problem, but I'm kinda confused how there is any potential energy here besides the spring potential energy that we get in the final state. Why is mgh here mgx? why can h =x? in this case
 
Attachments
  • upload_2017-12-9_17-8-42.png
    upload_2017-12-9_17-8-42.png
    30.8 KB · Views: 2,394
Physics news on Phys.org
Lori said:
I have the work in the above problem, but I'm kinda confused how there is any potential energy here besides the spring potential energy that we get in the final state. Why is mgh here mgx? why can h =x? in this case
mgh represents the change in gravitational PE for the hanging mass M. Assuming that the string is of fixed length, the block M's vertical motion must be equal in magnitude to block 2M's horizontal motion, hence Δh = Δx with the appropriate choice of coordinates.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Lori