Finding Touchdown Point Distance on a Slope with a Circular Arc and Ramp Launch

In summary, Julie starts at the top of the 60∘ slope shown in the figure (Figure 1) and at the bottom, a circular arc carries her through a 90∘ turn, and she then launches off a 3.0-m-high ramp. Her touchdown point is located 18.01 m from the end of the ramp.
BrainMan

Homework Statement

It's been a great day of new, frictionless snow. Julie starts at the top of the 60∘ slope shown in the figure (Figure 1) . At the bottom, a circular arc carries her through a 90∘ turn, and she then launches off a 3.0-m-high ramp.

How far horizontally is her touchdown point from the end of the ramp?
Express your answer to two significant figures and include the appropriate units.

10.P49.jpg

Homework Equations

(1/2)mv2i + mgyi = (1/2)mv2f + mgyf[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

Solving for V at the end of the ramp I got V = sqrt(2g(y1 - y2))
So the velocity as she is going off the ramp should be Vf = sqrt(2g(25-3)) = 20.8 m/s

Because of the 90 degree arc length the angle she is going off the ramp should also be 60 degrees.

So y = y0 + v0t - (1/2)gt2
0 = 3 + 20.8 sin (60) - 4.9t2

0 = 3 + 18.01t - 4.9t2

t = 3.83

plugging into the x equation for distance

x = vt = v0cos(θ)t = 20.8 * cos(60) * 3.83 = 40 m

I'm not sure why this isn't right. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
BrainMan said:
Because of the 90 degree arc length the angle she is going off the ramp should also be 60 degrees.
I think you might want to re-evaluate that. If her direction started out at -60° with respect to the horizontal, adding 90° to that yields...?

upload_2016-10-9_16-37-10.png

Likes BrainMan
BrainMan said:

I'm not sure why this isn't right. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Does that look to you like 60 degrees in the diagram?

gneill said:
I think you might want to re-evaluate that. If her direction started out at -60° with respect to the horizontal, adding 90° to that yields...?

View attachment 107199
OK I get 30 degrees. Following the same process with 30 degrees I get the right answer. Thanks!

Happy to help!

1. What is the concept of energy slope?

Energy slope is a measure of how quickly energy is changing over a given distance or time. It is represented by the slope of a line on a graph, where the y-axis represents energy and the x-axis represents distance or time.

2. How is energy slope related to energy efficiency?

Energy slope and energy efficiency are directly related. A steeper energy slope indicates a faster change in energy, meaning less energy is being used or wasted. This leads to a higher energy efficiency, as less energy is needed to achieve the same result.

3. What factors can affect the energy slope of a system?

The energy slope of a system can be affected by various factors such as the type of energy being used, the efficiency of the system, external forces or resistances, and the amount of energy being supplied or consumed.

4. How can we calculate the energy slope of a system?

The energy slope of a system can be calculated by finding the change in energy (ΔE) divided by the change in distance or time (Δx). This can be represented as ΔE/Δx and the units will depend on the specific type of energy and distance or time being measured.

5. How does the concept of energy slope apply to real-life situations?

Energy slope is a useful concept in understanding and improving energy usage and efficiency in various real-life situations. For example, it can be used in designing more efficient transportation systems, optimizing energy usage in buildings, and improving the performance of renewable energy sources.