1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Skier velocity and friction problem

1. Oct 26, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

a skier is pulled up a slope at a constant velocity by a tow bar. The slope is inclined at 30.0° with respect to the horizontal. The force applied to the skier by the tow bar is parallel to the slope. The skier's mass is 53.0 kg, and the coefficient of kinetic friction between the skis and the snow is 0.190. Find the magnitude of the force that the tow bar exerts on the skier.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

since i know the slope is the acceleration i believe.
    couldn't i just solve for acceleration, and maybe get more parts of the picture through trig from vector components?

I'm not sure how to use the friction though.
    is there an equation that will help?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2007 #2
    "a skier is pulled up a slope at a constant velocity"

draw a force-body diagram and evaluate your forces and how you can solve for F.

visit my blog if you need examples.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2007
  4. Oct 26, 2007 #3
    Begin by defining a coordinate system (where you would like to place the x-axis), and tell me the forces that act in the x and y directions by using Newton's Second Law.

5. Oct 26, 2007 #4

TMM

What rocophysics means is that since there is constant velocity, all forces should add to zero.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?