Skipping grades to go to university?

In summary, the Quebec education system includes a high school equivalency of 11th grade and then a 2-year CEGEP degree before pursuing undergraduate studies. However, there is an opportunity for students with an average of 85% or higher to go directly from 11th grade to undergraduate at Ottawa University. The program includes courses in calculus, linear algebra, physics, and other subjects. Some students may feel ready for this program after completing the rigorous high school courses, while others may prefer to go through CEGEP first.
Sherazi
Well, I live in Quebec and for those who do not know the system I will provide you a little description:
In Quebec, we graduate with an equivalency of an 11th grade. After 11th grade, you must earn a CEGEP degree (2 years is the usual length) which is kind of the equivalent of a postgraduate degree, before pursuing to undergraduate. Now there are alternatives to that, but it is unnecessary to explain, for my question.

Leading on, Ottawa's university offers a chance for people in Quebec to go from their 11th grade to undergraduate. You must have an average of 85% in a variety of classes that relate to the course you are applying. Then again, they state that you may not be accepted even with those requirements. Although this seems quite interesting, especially since I have an average of 92% in most classes or higher, I wonder if this is a good idea. They ask us, for people applying in physics, to take an additional class for an introduction to calculus and vectors. Even if I can study during summer as well, I do not know if it is realistic to do the course.

What are your thoughts? Is this a good opportunity or it is going to be way too much work? This is going to be the program:
MAT1320 Calculus I
MAT1322 Calculus II
MAT1341 Introduction to Linear Algebra
PHY1121 Fundamentals of Physics I
PHY1122 Fundamentals of Physics II
MAT2141 Linear Algebra I
MAT2322 Calculus III for Engineers
MAT2324 Ordinary Differential Equations and the Laplace Transform
or
MAT2384 Ordinary Differential Equations and Numerical Methods
PHY2311 Waves and Optics
PHY2323 Electricity and Magnetism
PHY2333 Mechanics
PHY2361 Modern Physics
PHY2904 Travaux pratiques en physique / Practical Physics
PHY3350 Thermodynamics
PHY3902 Laboratoire de physique et de physique appliquée I / Physics and Applied Physics Laboratory I
PHY3320 Electromagnetic Theory
PHY3341 Theoretical Physics
PHY3355 Statistical Thermodynamics
PHY3370 Introductory Quantum Mechanics

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you describe your current schoolwork? Without that it is difficult to say whether or not you'll be ready for the program you posted.

Assuming the calculus classes cover the same material (and it appears they do) as mine did, you should be fine starting calculus 1 without an introduction to vectors. How well you will do in physics without an intro. to vectors, I'm not sure.

Nevertheless, I know that I felt like I was wasting time in 12th grade. I knew I was ready for college, but apparently college wasn't ready for me. Personally, I would go directly from 11th grade to undergraduate. Bear in mind, I'm completely ignorant on the Quebec system. Provide some more details, and listen to what others have to say. Hopefully that will allow you to make this decision.

The Quebec system, in terms of math and physics, covers up to pre-calculus (536 math), vectors and classical mechanics (physics grade 11). I had no problem jumping right into calculus and mechanics in university with math 436 (I skipped grade 11 and had grade 10 high math, mainly algebra 2 and trig). Unless you are not proficient at figuring problems/concepts out for yourself, you should have no problem.

Quebec system for math/physics:

Grade 10: Option of high-math (436) or regular (426). 436 covers trigonometry, algebra and quadratic equations, functions. 426 doesn't cover quadratic equations and barely any functions, simple trig. For physics, one has the option of either 426 or 416, where 426 has a substantial amount of homework and covers more topics (Optics, mechanics, and some labs).

Grade 11: 536 (High math) or 526. 536 is essentially everything you would find in a pre-calculus book, including some stats (standard deviation and z-score), as well as advanced trig, and functions. The physics class is mainly classical mechanics, forces, work, and optics.
CEGEP: (2 years gone to waste, pre-university, equivalent of grade 12)

Cal 1, cal 2, linears algebra. Optional: Cal 3, discrete math, mathematical statistics.

Mechanics, Electricity and magnetism, Wave motion and modern physics (All of these have labs). Option: Astrophysics, experimental physics.

Typically, one does not have to retake all these courses in university, as they are credited.

Last edited:
Well work wise, it seems no different from any undergraduate US degree (without the stupid general education requirements). Is your question will you be able to handle it? It seems as though high school is rigorous enough that you will be able to handle it no problem, especially with a 92% average. However, if you are not sure, I recommend going the CEGEP route, as the time there won't be wasted because the courses are credited, and you can explore what you enjoy at the same time.

I believe that skipping grades to go to university can be a good opportunity for some students, but it may also come with challenges and additional workload. It is important to carefully consider all factors before making a decision.

On one hand, this program offers a chance for students to start their university education earlier and potentially graduate earlier. This can be beneficial for those who are academically advanced and motivated to start their career sooner. Additionally, the program seems to cover a wide range of courses in math and physics, providing a strong foundation for further studies in these fields.

On the other hand, it is important to consider the potential challenges and workload that come with skipping grades. The courses listed in the program may be more advanced and demanding than what a typical 11th grade student is used to, and it may require a lot of dedication and hard work to keep up with the pace of the program. It is also important to consider the social and emotional implications of skipping grades, as students may be entering university at a younger age and may face challenges in adapting to a new environment.

Ultimately, the decision to skip grades and go to university should be made after careful consideration of all factors, including academic readiness, personal goals, and potential challenges. It is important to consult with teachers, parents, and academic advisors to make an informed decision.

1. Can I skip grades to go to university?

Yes, it is possible to skip grades and go to university. However, this is not a decision to be taken lightly and should be discussed with your school counselor, parents, and university admissions office.

2. What are the requirements for skipping grades?

The requirements for skipping grades vary depending on the school and university. Generally, students must demonstrate exceptional academic abilities and maturity. They may also need to pass placement tests and have a recommendation from their current school.

3. Will skipping grades affect my social life?

Skipping grades can have an impact on your social life, as you may be placed in a class with students who are older than you. However, many universities have programs and clubs specifically for students who have skipped grades, allowing them to connect with others who share similar experiences.

4. Is skipping grades worth it?

This is a personal decision and ultimately depends on your goals and motivations. Skipping grades can offer academic challenges and opportunities for advanced studies, but it can also be socially and emotionally challenging. It is important to carefully consider all factors before making a decision.

5. Can I skip multiple grades and go straight to university?

It is possible to skip multiple grades and go straight to university, but this is not a common practice. Most universities have age requirements for admission, and skipping too many grades may not be feasible. Additionally, it is important to consider the impact on your social and emotional development before making this decision.