Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Sled placed at an inclined plane ( Newtons law)

1. Jan 12, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

* This is for my project.
    The sled is placed at an inclined surface at an angle of theta. The sled is attatched to a rope, which i will be pulling to find out the minimum force to start the sled moving.
    i would assume that when im tryin to find the jusssttt jussst that point when it starts to move will i make Fnet = 0 ?

im finding out different amount of tensions needed to pull the skier up depending on the angles. i will be increasing the the angle by 15 degrees every interval. starting from 30 degrees.

--Im open to hear any opinions regarding my project, if you know that there is a way i could make it little bit more complex and interesting ? i will be very glad to hear them--

2. Relevant equations

Fnet = ma

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that when a mass of object is placed at an angle there is a
    friction force, x-component of the gravity. These two forces appose the Tension force.

Ftension - Ffriction - Fgravityx = m a

would acceleration be 0 in this case?

so it would be Ftension = Ffriction +Fgravityx
    but if it wants to move Ftension > Ffriction + Fgravityx right??
    please HELP !

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2010 #2

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Acceleration would be 0 at the moment before the sled starts moving. Once it starts moving, acceleration is no longer 0 and the force of friction decreases significantly because it will then be kinetic friction, not static friction.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook