1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sled placed at an inclined plane ( Newtons law)

1. Jan 12, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

* This is for my project.
    The sled is placed at an inclined surface at an angle of theta. The sled is attatched to a rope, which i will be pulling to find out the minimum force to start the sled moving.
    i would assume that when im tryin to find the jusssttt jussst that point when it starts to move will i make Fnet = 0 ?

im finding out different amount of tensions needed to pull the skier up depending on the angles. i will be increasing the the angle by 15 degrees every interval. starting from 30 degrees.

--Im open to hear any opinions regarding my project, if you know that there is a way i could make it little bit more complex and interesting ? i will be very glad to hear them--

2. Relevant equations

Fnet = ma

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that when a mass of object is placed at an angle there is a
    friction force, x-component of the gravity. These two forces appose the Tension force.

Ftension - Ffriction - Fgravityx = m a

would acceleration be 0 in this case?

so it would be Ftension = Ffriction +Fgravityx
    but if it wants to move Ftension > Ffriction + Fgravityx right??
    please HELP !
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2010 #2

Homework Helper

Acceleration would be 0 at the moment before the sled starts moving. Once it starts moving, acceleration is no longer 0 and the force of friction decreases significantly because it will then be kinetic friction, not static friction.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook