Sled placed at an inclined plane ( Newtons law)

In summary, the project involves placing a sled at an inclined surface and using a rope to find the minimum force needed to start the sled moving. The student is also exploring different angles and tensions for pulling a skier up the incline. They are open to suggestions for making the project more complex and interesting. The relevant equations are Fnet = ma and Ftension - Ffriction - Fgravityx = ma. The student is seeking clarification on when acceleration would be 0 and the relationship between tension, friction, and gravity in this scenario.
lovemake1

Homework Statement

* This is for my project.
The sled is placed at an inclined surface at an angle of theta. The sled is attatched to a rope, which i will be pulling to find out the minimum force to start the sled moving.
i would assume that when I am tryin to find the jusssttt jussst that point when it starts to move will i make Fnet = 0 ?

im finding out different amount of tensions needed to pull the skier up depending on the angles. i will be increasing the the angle by 15 degrees every interval. starting from 30 degrees.

--Im open to hear any opinions regarding my project, if you know that there is a way i could make it little bit more complex and interesting ? i will be very glad to hear them--

Homework Equations

Fnet = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that when a mass of object is placed at an angle there is a
friction force, x-component of the gravity. These two forces appose the Tension force.

Ftension - Ffriction - Fgravityx = m a

would acceleration be 0 in this case?

so it would be Ftension = Ffriction +Fgravityx
but if it wants to move Ftension > Ffriction + Fgravityx right??
please HELP !

Physics news on Phys.org
Acceleration would be 0 at the moment before the sled starts moving. Once it starts moving, acceleration is no longer 0 and the force of friction decreases significantly because it will then be kinetic friction, not static friction.

I would like to commend you for your project and your curiosity to make it more complex and interesting. It shows a great attitude towards learning and experimentation.

In terms of your question, you are correct in your understanding of the forces involved in this scenario. The tension force from the rope must be greater than the combined forces of friction and the x-component of gravity in order for the sled to start moving. This is because the sled needs a net force in the direction of motion in order to accelerate.

To make your project more complex and interesting, you could consider changing other variables such as the mass of the sled, the type of surface the sled is on, or the angle of the incline. You could also explore how changing the tension force affects the acceleration of the sled. Additionally, you could try to make predictions based on your understanding of Newton's laws and then test them through experimentation. This will help you develop your critical thinking and problem-solving skills as a scientist. Good luck with your project!

1. How does Newton's First Law apply to a sled placed at an inclined plane?

Newton's First Law, also known as the Law of Inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. In the case of a sled placed at an inclined plane, the sled will remain at rest until a force, such as a push or pull, is applied to move it up or down the slope.

2. What is the relationship between the angle of the inclined plane and the force required to move the sled?

The relationship between the angle of the inclined plane and the force required to move the sled is described by Newton's Second Law, which states that the force required to accelerate an object is directly proportional to its mass and the acceleration of the object. As the angle of the inclined plane increases, the force required to move the sled up the slope will also increase.

3. How does friction affect the movement of a sled on an inclined plane?

Friction is a force that acts in the opposite direction of motion and can affect the movement of a sled on an inclined plane. Friction between the sled and the surface of the inclined plane will increase as the angle of the slope increases, making it more difficult to move the sled. It is important to minimize friction by using a smooth and slippery surface for the sled to move on.

4. Can the weight of the sled affect its movement on an inclined plane?

Yes, the weight of the sled can affect its movement on an inclined plane. The weight of an object is a measure of the force of gravity acting on it, and according to Newton's Second Law, the greater the mass of an object, the greater the force required to move it. Therefore, a heavier sled will require more force to move up or down an inclined plane compared to a lighter sled.

5. How do Newton's Laws explain the motion of a sled on an inclined plane?

Newton's Laws provide a framework for understanding the motion of a sled on an inclined plane. The First Law explains why the sled remains at rest until a force is applied, the Second Law describes the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration, and the Third Law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. All three laws work together to explain the movement of a sled on an inclined plane.