Sleeping Beauties in Theoretical Physics: 26 Surprising Insights

In summary, the conversation is about the book "Sleeping Beauties in Theoretical Physics: 26 Surprising Insights" and the question of what level of reader it was written for. The owner of the book has not read it yet, but recommends checking out the previews on the Springer website. The conversation also mentions that the author, Thanu Padmanabhan, is known for writing good books and that the book may be more suitable for readers with a high mathematical level. It is suggested that the book is best read after completing major physics courses.
ibkev
This book Sleeping Beauties in Theoretical Physics: 26 Surprising Insights sounds pretty cool as something to read for fun. Has anyone looked at it yet? I'm wondering also what level of reader it's been written for?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/3319134426/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
smodak said:
I own the book but have not read it yet. So much to read, so little time...
The Springer site has better previews...
http://www.springer.com/us/book/9783319134420
Yeah those previews are the same as the ones on Amazon and are what got me thinking it sounds really cool! ... the main problem I have is they don't say enough for me to tell whether this book will be way over my head or not. My knowledge is similar I think to what a 2 or 3rd year physics student would know (I forget what sophmore/junior/etc mean in the US.

In engineering we would say I "know enough to be dangerous" LOL

As far as I feel, Thanu Padmanabhan wrote good books (one really good on GR, another not that much on QFT). I am pretty sure this is a good writing as well. I hope your mathematical level is high enough, as this book seems to include a fair level of equations. This shouldn't replace a conventional textbook on any subject, but I believe it can serve as a useful read after you've gone past the major courses in physics (classical mechanics, electrodynamics + special relativity, quantum mechanics).

Likes ShayanJ
Ok thanks for the help!

1. What is the main concept behind "Sleeping Beauties in Theoretical Physics: 26 Surprising Insights"?

The main concept behind "Sleeping Beauties in Theoretical Physics: 26 Surprising Insights" is to explore and highlight 26 lesser-known or overlooked theories and concepts in theoretical physics that have the potential to make significant contributions to the field.

2. Who are the authors of "Sleeping Beauties in Theoretical Physics: 26 Surprising Insights"?

The authors of "Sleeping Beauties in Theoretical Physics: 26 Surprising Insights" are physicists Sabine Hossenfelder and Alessandro Strumia.

3. What makes this book unique compared to other books on theoretical physics?

This book is unique in that it focuses on lesser-known theories and concepts, rather than the commonly discussed topics in theoretical physics. It also presents these ideas in a clear and accessible manner, making it suitable for both scientists and non-scientists.

4. How can "Sleeping Beauties in Theoretical Physics: 26 Surprising Insights" benefit readers?

Readers can benefit from this book by gaining a deeper understanding of the diverse and sometimes unconventional ideas in theoretical physics. It also encourages critical thinking and opens up new perspectives for approaching complex problems in the field.

5. Are there any prerequisites for reading "Sleeping Beauties in Theoretical Physics: 26 Surprising Insights"?

While a basic understanding of physics and mathematics is helpful, the book can be understood by anyone with a curious mind. The authors provide clear explanations and examples, making the concepts accessible to readers from various backgrounds.