Sleeping in computer labs/classes/?

• Thread starter rootX
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computer
In summary: Currently, time and productivity are the most important things(more than anything else) to me, and they might not be that important to you, so I do plan out everything and want to make decisions that can make as more productive. And, I never said I am planning to stay there regularly. I don't want to live without showers for like months. I've never slept anywhere over night, but I do take naps in the library at times. Please try your hardest to avoid sleeping at school. During my Freshman year in college I worked all night shifts on campus to pay my rent. Many nights, I would catch 2 or 3 hour naps in the library before my first class
rootX
I think I might be doing next semester in busy times (I will be living off campus, and too lazy to move around ... :frown:)

Anyone else do that? How common is that?

I know some people who are always there ...
but I never stayed there beyond 4 AM

Physics news on Phys.org
Just go home.. you can't possibly work that much! Although, a nice mid afternoon nap on a reclined desk chair is enjoyable :wink:

Sleep in the library. It's quiet, and if sufficiently large, you can hide and stay overnight.

I am just curious if some people always really sleep there ...
I know when big projects/exams are near, almost everyone do that

I know it's not possible to work that much (thnx to those scary burn outs! - another issue) ... but sometimes, you can be just way too lazy (I always try to move as little as possible, so would pick a place where food+water+washroom+fast computer is near .. )

will.c said:
Sleep in the library. It's quiet, and if sufficiently large, you can hide and stay overnight.

Yea it's possible, but I have good computer labs (really love to spend time there) with really good chairs :approve:

The occasional nap on the desk does wonders, I've found.

I actually know a kid who plans on sleeping in the library at a college next year. The only difference is that he doesn't even go there. I told him it's the best idea he's ever had. If he can pull it off I'm sure you can as a student of the school.

Ok, in all seriousness, this is a stupid thread. No one in their right mind is going to advise you to sleep in a computer lab or library overnight as a regular thing. Occasionally, one may need to pull all nighters, and may need to catch a couple of hours sleep in a computer lab, but these things are never normally planned in advance. The fact that you're planning them rings some alarm bells to me.

cristo said:
Ok, in all seriousness, this is a stupid thread.

Maybe, but there are different ways to see things ... What you see as stupid might not be stupid to me. I wonder if you any solid justification for saying that this is a stupid thread.

Occasionally, one may need to pull all nighters, and may need to catch a couple of hours sleep in a computer lab, but these things are never normally planned in advance. The fact that you're planning them rings some alarm bells to me.

I really don't know how that rings alarm ... :confused:

Currently, time and productivity are the most important things(more than anything else) to me, and they might not be that important to you, so I do plan out everything and want to make decisions that can make as more productive.
And, I never said I am planning to stay there regularly. I don't want to live without showers for like months.

I've never slept anywhere over night, but I do take naps in the library at times. 15-20 minutes of sleep is better than most energy drinks as it clears your mind as well.

Please try your hardest to avoid sleeping at school. During my Freshman year in college I worked all night shifts on campus to pay my rent. Many nights, I would catch 2 or 3 hour naps in the library before my first class of the morning. Even though my school load was not incredibly tough, it felt a lot harder than it was because I was always tired and groggy. It is extremely important to get regular hours of sleep in a nice, comfortable area (i.e. your own bed). I can't stress this enough. I'm always getting mad at my friend because she pulls all nighters three times a week.

I have pulled a few all nighters last semester, but since the libraries at my school do not open 24/7 unless during exam time, I was discouraged from doing too much of it throughout the semester.

At the beginning of last semester, I did try polyphasic sleep, merely out of curiosity since the academic load was quite light at the time. It did work for a bit and I was able to function normally on less than 4 hrs of sleep a day however, the sleep pattern did not fit my schedule so I had to give that up.

It's been 2 weeks into this semester, I haven't pulled any all nighters yet but have stayed up late almost everyday. I stayed up the first week doing a work term report, the second week I'm staying up to keep up with classes (2 weeks of material) because I haven't done any of those the first week. I have a part time job at the university that requires me to put 7-8 hours a week. On top of that I am programming this data collection mechanism for a research project which is expected to take up 15-20 hours of my time over the next 2 weeks.

So it looks like I'll be staying up quite often throughout the semester, anyone know how sustainable this is?

The|M|onster said:
Please try your hardest to avoid sleeping at school. During my Freshman year in college I worked all night shifts on campus to pay my rent. Many nights, I would catch 2 or 3 hour naps in the library before my first class of the morning. Even though my school load was not incredibly tough, it felt a lot harder than it was because I was always tired and groggy. It is extremely important to get regular hours of sleep in a nice, comfortable area (i.e. your own bed). I can't stress this enough. I'm always getting mad at my friend because she pulls all nighters three times a week.

I don't get it. Because something didn't work for you it can't possibly work for anyone else? I'm a library napper who occasionally plans it in advance, and I never felt it negatively impacted my education. In fact, I'm upgrading to graduate school. I'm healthy, happy, bright, proud of the work I do, and I sleep wherever the hell I want.

kuahji said:
I've never slept anywhere over night, but I do take naps in the library at times. 15-20 minutes of sleep is better than most energy drinks as it clears your mind as well.

No. You need a good 3-4 hours of sleep if you want to function. This is what military pilots do on long flights. 15-20 min naps ant going to do jack for you.

wk1989 said:
I have pulled a few all nighters last semester, but since the libraries at my school do not open 24/7 unless during exam time, I was discouraged from doing too much of it throughout the semester.

At the beginning of last semester, I did try polyphasic sleep, merely out of curiosity since the academic load was quite light at the time. It did work for a bit and I was able to function normally on less than 4 hrs of sleep a day however, the sleep pattern did not fit my schedule so I had to give that up.

It's been 2 weeks into this semester, I haven't pulled any all nighters yet but have stayed up late almost everyday. I stayed up the first week doing a work term report, the second week I'm staying up to keep up with classes (2 weeks of material) because I haven't done any of those the first week. I have a part time job at the university that requires me to put 7-8 hours a week. On top of that I am programming this data collection mechanism for a research project which is expected to take up 15-20 hours of my time over the next 2 weeks.

So it looks like I'll be staying up quite often throughout the semester, anyone know how sustainable this is?

I think eating more food (and knowing future == planning) should definitely help .. I don't think it's possible to be productive and continuously working beyond your limits (so better use google calendar :P-It helps me a lot and makes everything certain .. )
e.g. in December holidays, I finished one next semester course (that had lots of readings) .. so I had an advantage over other people =P .

I avoid staying all nights near the semester's end ... while try to find new ways at the beginning.

Last edited:
I sleep on campus three nights a week. I don't have a car and live ~30 miles away from my university. Last semester I slept in my lab. I had a sleeping bag and a pillow, and I slept on the floor. I was able to get 6-8 hours of slightly restless sleep every night. Occasionally I would go to library to catch an hour or so of sleep, but the chairs there are only moderately comfortable, and not good for prolonged periods.
This semester (summer) SPS has managed to finagle an SPS lounge. Only SPS officers have keys, so it's relatively private. I'm now sleeping on the couch located there (what an upgrade!).
If you can work something out where you can get a decent amount of sleep and it's not too morally degrading (spending ~80 straight hours on campus can sometimes get old for me), then there's no reason you can't make it work. The bottom line is that as long as you can do it and remain productive, then go for it.

will.c said:
I don't get it. Because something didn't work for you it can't possibly work for anyone else? I'm a library napper who occasionally plans it in advance, and I never felt it negatively impacted my education. In fact, I'm upgrading to graduate school. I'm healthy, happy, bright, proud of the work I do, and I sleep wherever the hell I want.

I never said it wouldn't work. I said, it is not a good thing to do regularly. Plus, there is a huge difference between "occasionally" planning it in advance and what I did. I worked a midnight to 5 am shift four days a week, slept from 5:30 - 8:00 am in the library and then went to class until 5 pm. Studied for 6 hours, ate, and went back to work. That takes it's toll, I don't care who you are.

1. How does sleeping in a computer lab affect my academic performance?

Sleeping in a computer lab can have a negative impact on your academic performance. Not getting enough quality sleep can affect your concentration, memory, and ability to learn and retain information. It may also lead to missing important information or falling behind in class.

2. Is it safe to sleep in a computer lab or classroom?

It is generally not safe to sleep in a computer lab or classroom. These spaces are not designed for sleeping and may not have proper ventilation or safety measures in case of emergencies. Additionally, you may be at risk of theft or other incidents while sleeping in a public space.

3. How can I prevent myself from falling asleep in a computer lab or class?

To prevent yourself from falling asleep in a computer lab or class, try to get enough sleep the night before and maintain a regular sleep schedule. You can also try sitting up straight, engaging in class discussions, or taking breaks to stretch and move around.

4. What are the consequences of sleeping in a computer lab or class?

The consequences of sleeping in a computer lab or class can vary depending on the situation and the rules of the institution. It may result in a warning or reprimand from the instructor or school, and repeated incidents may lead to more serious consequences such as disciplinary action.

5. How can I catch up on missed material if I fall asleep in class?

If you do end up falling asleep in class, it is important to communicate with your instructor and classmates to catch up on any missed material. You can also access class notes, recordings, or other resources provided by the instructor. It may also be helpful to schedule a meeting with the instructor to discuss any missed information or assignments.