Slit Experiment vs Schrodinger's Cat

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of quantum fuzziness and its relation to macroscopic objects and distances. The Double Slit Experiment is mentioned as an example, where the photon is observed at two different points, suggesting a superposition of states. The possibility of macroscopic scale effects of superpositions and the significance of the Delft and Stony Brook SQUID experiments are also mentioned. The conversation concludes with a clarification on the nature of the Double Slit Experiment and its implications for the concept of quantum fuzziness.
sanman
I've always been told about how that joke about whether Schrodinger's Cat is alive or dead was merely intended to highlight the fact that "quantum fuzziness" does not scale up to macroscopic objects like a cat.

But when we do the slit experiment and observe that the photon is detected at both A and B, then aren't we seeing the "fuzziness" extending across a macroscopic distance? (ie. the photon is jumping/spanning across the distance between A and B)

Why is macroscopic object a no-no for showing the fuzziness, but macroscopic distance is fine for showing the fuzziness?
Are we saying that distance doesn't count at all, when it comes to tunnelling?

What is the probability of finding the photon anywhere in the space spanning between A and B?

Can we say that a wave object is an object of infinitely low density, since it is supposed to be spanning across the entire universe?

Physics news on Phys.org
sanman said:
But when we do the slit experiment and observe that the photon is detected at both A and B, then aren't we seeing the "fuzziness" extending across a macroscopic distance? (ie. the photon is jumping/spanning across the distance between A and B)
What do you mean when you say that "the photon is detected at both A and B"? In the double slit experiment, photons are always detected at a particular point.

Forgive me for my rusty memory, but I thought that the Double Slit Experiment was that the same photon shows up at both detectors (at points A and B)

I thought this is cited as proof of quantum fuzziness, so that the photon can be in 2 places at once.

sanman said:
I've always been told about how that joke about whether Schrodinger's Cat is alive or dead was merely intended to highlight the fact that "quantum fuzziness" does not scale up to macroscopic objects like a cat.

Why is macroscopic object a no-no for showing the fuzziness, but macroscopic distance is fine for showing the fuzziness?
Are we saying that distance doesn't count at all, when it comes to tunnelling?

What is the probability of finding the photon anywhere in the space spanning between A and B?

Can we say that a wave object is an object of infinitely low density, since it is supposed to be spanning across the entire universe?

But there ARE experiments that are beginning to show "macroscopic" scale effects of superpositions. That is why the Delft and Stony Brook SQUID experiments are so important (do a search on here - a lot of water has flowed under those bridges). They showed superposition effects for at least 10^6 particles.

Zz.

sanman said:
Forgive me for my rusty memory, but I thought that the Double Slit Experiment was that the same photon shows up at both detectors (at points A and B)
No, the photon is always detected by a single detector. (Perhaps you are confusing the two slits with two detectors?)
I thought this is cited as proof of quantum fuzziness, so that the photon can be in 2 places at once.
What it shows is that the state of the photon, as it passes through this system, must be viewed as being in a superposition of single slit states. That's the only way to correctly predict the distribution of photons arriving at the detectors.

1. What is the purpose of the slit experiment?

The purpose of the slit experiment is to demonstrate the dual nature of light, as both a particle and a wave.

2. How does the slit experiment differ from Schrodinger's cat?

The slit experiment focuses on the behavior of light, while Schrodinger's cat is a thought experiment used to illustrate the concept of superposition in quantum mechanics.

3. Can you explain the concept of superposition?

Superposition refers to the ability of a quantum system to exist in multiple states simultaneously until it is observed or measured, at which point it collapses into one definite state.

4. What is the significance of the results of the slit experiment?

The results of the slit experiment show that light behaves differently depending on whether it is observed or not, providing evidence for the quantum nature of reality.

5. How does Schrodinger's cat relate to the uncertainty principle?

Schrodinger's cat represents the idea that a quantum system can exist in multiple states at once, highlighting the uncertainty and unpredictability of quantum mechanics.