Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Slow neutron beam deflection by a magnetic field

1. Aug 17, 2007 #1
    Is it possible for a beam of slow neutrons, to be deflected by a strong magnetic field? I have found something for a beta asymmetry in Wu experiments, but haven't understood much. Is it a particle physics subject?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2007 #2

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

I believe so, because they possess a magnetic moment they will be deflected in a way similar to that of the Stern-Gerlach experiment... of course, the magentic moment of the neutron is much smaller than that of an atom (due to electrons).

4. Aug 18, 2007 #3
    Is there anything more particular that I can read, that fully describes that phenomenon?

5. Aug 18, 2007 #4

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

Chapter 1.1 of Sakurai's "Modern Quantum Mechanics" describes the Stern-Gerlach experiment. Chap 1.1 is actually the introduction, but he chose to present the Stern-Gerlach experiment there because it is a neat experiment... I think the experiment is explained in detail in most any quantum mechanics book. I'd just look in the appendix.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?