Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Slow neutron beam deflection by a magnetic field

1. Aug 17, 2007 #1
    Is it possible for a beam of slow neutrons, to be deflected by a strong magnetic field? I have found something for a beta asymmetry in Wu experiments, but haven't understood much. Is it a particle physics subject?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2007 #2

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

I believe so, because they possess a magnetic moment they will be deflected in a way similar to that of the Stern-Gerlach experiment... of course, the magentic moment of the neutron is much smaller than that of an atom (due to electrons).

4. Aug 18, 2007 #3
    Is there anything more particular that I can read, that fully describes that phenomenon?

5. Aug 18, 2007 #4

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

Chapter 1.1 of Sakurai's "Modern Quantum Mechanics" describes the Stern-Gerlach experiment. Chap 1.1 is actually the introduction, but he chose to present the Stern-Gerlach experiment there because it is a neat experiment... I think the experiment is explained in detail in most any quantum mechanics book. I'd just look in the appendix.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook