PhD Student Seeking Advice on CV Education Section

• Thread starter blulady65
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cv
In summary, the conversation discusses the proper way to list an en route master's degree on a CV. It is generally acceptable to list an expected date of completion for a PhD, as well as relevant coursework and passing qualification exams. However, it is only appropriate to list a master's degree if it has been officially awarded or will be granted soon.
blulady65
HI,
I'm a phd student in physics and i recently took and passed the quals. I also have all the credits I need and have satisfied all the other requirements for the en route masters. I've been required to send some people, external to the department, my resume recently, and I'm was not exactly sure how to write the education part. I have a bs listed. I've seen people list: PhD (expected 20XX), but like I said I'm just starting my research so it feels weird to list on my cv: PhD (expected in the depressingly distant future) so I don't list it. But I was wondering if it is normal to list an en route master to give the recipient a better idea of where you are in your education and what all your experiences or skills may entail. Also, when is it appropriate to begin listing an expected degree, i.e., two years out, one year out, after defense or other benchmark? I know there is probably no hard and fast answer to this. I'm just polling the community for what you would think when you see resumes or what's on your resume. Also, it's somewhat out of curiosity because it's only a temporary problem... hopefully.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
"Expected <whenever>" is fairly common, once you have a good idea of the date (which practically means a year or two out, at least in the US). Something like "in progress" is fine otherwise. Of course you should list a master's if you have it.

JDGates said:
"Of course you should list a master's if you have it.

Yeah I guess that is the crux of my question, how to handle en route masters on a cv. I'm not sure if I do have a masters as a technical matter, but if I left tomorrow I would leave with a masters. Would I be lying if I listed it, or is there a special way it should be listed?
Thanks for the reply by the way.

If you haven't been awarded the master's degree (ie. no one has given you a parchment with your name and the word "master" on it), don't list it.

For the PhD you want to communicate that you're currently in the program, what your thesis project is on (or at least the field it is in), relevant coursework, that you passed your qualification exams and dates, and yes you can put down expected date of completion, even if it's years away.

Congrats on passing your qualification exams!

Generally if you have passed the quals, then you are officially a PhD Candidate. You can address yourself as such in the education section of your CV without having to worry about exact date. There is no need to indicate that you passed your quals, as the PhD candidate title implies this.

Note that satisfying the requirements for masters degree is not the same as being granted it. Only put Masters on your CV if and only if you received it, or you will be legally granted this degree en route to your PhD. I assume if this is the case, then you will have your Masters soon i.e. you will be granted this "en route Masters" my your department.

What should I include in the education section of my CV?

In the education section of your CV, you should include the name of the institution, degree earned, major/concentration, and graduation date. You can also include your GPA, relevant coursework, and any honors or awards received.

Should I include my high school education in my CV?

In most cases, it is not necessary to include your high school education on your CV. However, if you received any noteworthy honors or awards during high school that are relevant to your field of study, you may choose to include them.

How far back should I go in listing my education on my CV?

Typically, you should only list education from the undergraduate level and above on your CV. If you have completed any additional certifications or specialized training that is relevant to your field, you may also choose to include those.

Should I include my GPA on my CV?

Including your GPA on your CV is optional. If your GPA is above a 3.0, it may be beneficial to include it. However, if your GPA is lower, you may choose to leave it off. If you have a high GPA in your major or relevant coursework, you may also choose to include that instead.

How can I make my education section stand out on my CV?

To make your education section stand out, you can include any relevant coursework, honors, or awards that demonstrate your knowledge and skills in your field. You can also highlight any research projects or internships you may have completed during your education. Additionally, if you have any publications or conference presentations related to your education, you can include those as well.