How can I build a DIY AC motor dyno for small engine development?

In summary: The plan is to use a dyno for a new engine development program. They need comparative data between engines, tuning, proto components, etc. They also want to use a motoring dyno to measure engine mechanical resistance/friction.
greasemoneky
Here's what the plan is I need a dyno for a new engine development program. small displacement engines, 50cc some day up to 200cc+. I need comparative data engine to engine, tuning, proto components, etc..
this is all diy budget stuff please keep this in mind. I come from automotive and race engine background so i might know enough electrical stuff to be dangerous, so that's what i need to most help with. I've been searching for more info for awhile and not getting what info i really need.

I do NOT want to run a inertia, nor a water brake. I really need steady state data. I really like the idea of a motoring dyno, edddy current, AC dyno, which ever you may call it. I've been through some other posts:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=117800
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=357995&highlight=dynamometer

Now I've read very little about using a AC motor and varying voltage into it to change the load, and I could drive or "motor" the engine and measure the engine mechanical resistance/friction (test piston ring design, or spin-tron) that's about all i could find about that, please let me know if i understood that correctly, and how to go about it.

I need help pointing me toward some info, and i really would like your ideas too. I have a cnc machine shop at hand, and trying to teach myself electronics so if you have some good resources please let me know!

There is a lot more on the details of the project but didn't want to get anymore long winded than it already is.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You might find it useful to focus one one specific question. Try to be descriptive including your understanding of the problem.

Whats wrong with the simulation software already out there? I have an earlier version ofhttp://www.proracingsim.com/dynosimmainpage.htm" and it has to be far cheaper than making a new software. On horsepower tv, where I heard about it, they designed an engine on it and then built one to match. There was only a few HP difference(if I remeber correctly it was a 383 stroker). Pro racing sim offers a book to go along with their software, which describes how they do it through airflow calculations, pulse modulation, etc, and build algorithms that allows them to punch in numbers, without having to build each different setup. It might help you in your quest of building your own software to check it out.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a small engine dyno and how does it work?

A small engine dyno is a device used to measure the performance and power output of small engines, such as those found in lawnmowers, snow blowers, and other equipment. It works by simulating the conditions of an engine running under load, allowing for precise measurement of torque and horsepower.

2. What are the benefits of building a small engine dyno?

Building a small engine dyno can provide several benefits, such as the ability to accurately test and tune engines for performance and efficiency, as well as the potential to save money on costly repairs by identifying issues early on. Additionally, having your own dyno can be a useful tool for small engine research and development.

3. What are the essential components needed for a small engine dyno build?

The essential components for a small engine dyno build include a sturdy frame or base, a dyno drum to simulate load, a load cell to measure torque, a data acquisition system to collect and analyze data, and a control system to adjust the load and measure engine parameters.

4. How difficult is it to build a small engine dyno?

Building a small engine dyno can be a challenging project, as it requires a good understanding of mechanical and electrical systems. However, with the right tools, resources, and skills, it can be a rewarding and achievable project for a skilled DIY enthusiast or a team of engineers.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when building and using a small engine dyno?

Yes, it is essential to take safety precautions when building and using a small engine dyno. This includes wearing protective gear, such as goggles and gloves, following proper wiring and electrical safety protocols, and ensuring the dyno is securely anchored to prevent accidents or injuries. It is also crucial to follow manufacturer instructions and regularly maintain the dyno for safe and accurate operation.