Small-florida-community-aims-for-energy-independence

• Thread starter dlgoff
  • Start date
In summary, a small community in Florida is striving for energy independence. This involves utilizing renewable energy sources such as solar and wind power, as well as implementing energy-efficient practices. The community is also working towards reducing their carbon footprint and promoting sustainability. This push for energy independence not only benefits the environment, but also creates a sense of self-sufficiency and resilience within the community.
dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I thought of Old Jim (Jim Hardy), who worked at a Florida power plant, when watching a PBS television program this evening about this Solar panel array:

dnJnyyu-asset-mezzanine-16x9-jbZD4Us.jpg

Image compliments of https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/s...dependence-by-harnessing-the-power-of-the-sun

• Wow
Likes Master1022, Klystron and berkeman
Engineering news on Phys.org
Wow, big array. Did they say how many acres it covers?

berkeman said:
Wow, big array. Did they say how many acres it covers?
It's 700,000 panels on about 800 acres of land. So, it is a very large solar field.
FPL is very serious about solar.
Matt Valle is FPL's vice president of development.

Since the installation of these arrays at Babcock Ranch in 2016, the company has gone big on solar power. Statewide, it has installed about 11 `million solar panels, generating nearly 9 percent of what it puts into the grid. The big driver is economics. Solar panels are now 80 percent cheaper than they were a decade ago.
I wondered about battery storage for load at night, and found
FPL has built 10 megawatts of lithium battery storage here, but it's not nearly enough to power Babcock Ranch through the night. A natural gas plant fills the gap.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Klystron, dlgoff, russ_watters and 1 other person
Location location location. Florida's peak power demand comes during the afternoon of the hottest sunniest days which coincides with peak solar production. So, because this solar farm is owned by FPL (the local power company), they can use other diverse power plants to supply the community at night, and the need for storage is avoided.

At my son's former residence in Fairbanks, Alaska, the situation is very different.

When we plan the energy future for a whole country or a whole continent, an important word is diversity. I'm confident that @dlgoff and @Astronuc and @berkeman understand that, but I like to keep hammering that point home at every opportunity.

Likes Averagesupernova, dlgoff, russ_watters and 1 other person
anorlunda said:
Location location location. Florida's peak power demand comes during the afternoon of the hottest sunniest days which coincides with peak solar production. So, because this solar farm is owned by FPL (the local power company), they can use other diverse power plants to supply the community at night, and the need for storage is avoided.

At my son's former residence in Fairbanks, Alaska, the situation is very different.

When we plan the energy future for a whole country or a whole continent, an important word is diversity. I'm confident that @dlgoff and @Astronuc and @berkeman understand that, but I like to keep hammering that point home at every opportunity.
Looks like our coal fired pant near Lawrence, Kansas is shutting to help with it's carbon net-zero plan:
https://www2.ljworld.com/news/gener...l-fired-power-plant-just-outside-of-lawrence/

1. What is the concept of "small-florida-community-aims-for-energy-independence"?

The concept of "small-florida-community-aims-for-energy-independence" refers to a community in Florida that is working towards becoming self-sufficient in terms of energy production and consumption. This means that the community aims to generate all of its own energy through sustainable sources, such as solar or wind power, and reduce its reliance on external energy sources.

2. How does this community plan to achieve energy independence?

The community plans to achieve energy independence through a combination of initiatives, including investing in renewable energy sources, implementing energy-efficient technologies, and promoting conservation and sustainable living practices. They may also partner with local organizations and government agencies to access resources and funding for their projects.

3. What are the potential benefits of becoming energy independent?

Becoming energy independent can have numerous benefits for a community, including reduced energy costs, increased resilience to power outages and fluctuations in energy prices, and a reduced carbon footprint. It can also create local jobs and stimulate economic growth, as well as promote a sense of community and self-sufficiency.

4. What challenges might this community face in achieving energy independence?

Some of the challenges that this community may face in achieving energy independence include the initial cost of implementing renewable energy systems, securing funding and resources, and navigating regulations and policies. They may also face resistance from individuals or organizations who are invested in traditional energy sources.

5. Are there any other communities in the US that have successfully achieved energy independence?

Yes, there are several communities in the US that have successfully achieved energy independence, such as Greensburg, Kansas and Burlington, Vermont. These communities have implemented a variety of strategies, including investing in renewable energy, promoting energy efficiency, and implementing community-wide initiatives. Each community's approach may vary depending on their specific resources and needs.