Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Small Gap between parallel plates

1. Jul 22, 2013 #1
    Any ideas on how one can make a small gap (~10-50nm) between two parallel plates and maintain a known distance between them. I have two very flat surfaces and I would like to maintain a small gap (known gap) across them. I searched in the literature but I came up with nothing so if you have any ideas, that would be great.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2013 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

What are the dimensions of the plates? What are they made of? Do they have a voltage between them?

4. Jul 22, 2013 #3
    The dimensions of the plate, (10mmx 10mm) and made from very flat and polished Si wafers. No voltage between them but I understand van dew Waal interactions is an issue at those lengths?

5. Jul 23, 2013 #4
    Could you put some nano-particles between the plates to keep them seperated.

6. Jul 23, 2013 #5

Bandit127

Gold Member

Does the gap have to be air?

I was thinking a film of thin oil but it turns out they tend to be microns or 10s of microns thick so no good for this.

7. Jul 24, 2013 #6

etudiant

Gold Member

Presumably the gap needs to be maintained in the face of potential disturbances, so there is already a need for some distance adjustment mechanism.
    Afaik, the steppers for lithography offer positioning to a few nanometers, so presumably one could measure the gap continuously and adjust as needed, probably with a capacitance based gap measuring technique. One issue would be keeping the plates parallel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook