Small size 2.2µF , 400 volt Capacitors

In summary: DC? Plus, a polarized capacitor should be used, right?In summary, the conversation is about finding a smaller alternative for a big size electrolytic capacitor with dimensions of 2.2μ and 440 volt. The capacitor is needed for a rectifier circuit that transforms 110V AC to 5V DC. The discussion also mentions the importance of using a polarized capacitor and the potential danger of working with AC Mains high voltage connections. Suggestions are made to use a tantalum capacitor or a ceramic capacitor, but it is ultimately determined that the current electrolytic capacitor is the best option.
heathheath
Hello Guys, I am looking for an alternative for the big size electrolytic capacitors. Can you suggest me any alternatives or solutions. I need a small solution with dimensions of 2.2μ, and 440 volt.

Thanks in Advance,

Engineering news on Phys.org
heathheath said:
Hello Guys, I am looking for an alternative for the big size electrolytic capacitors. Can you suggest me any alternatives or solutions. I need a small solution with dimensions of 2.2μ, and 440 volt.

Thanks in Advance,

Welcome to the PF.

Does the cap need to be non-polar? Or can it be polarized? What is the ripple current (magnitude and frequency)? What is the application?

Thanks Berkeman, The cap would be used in a rectifier circuit that transforms from 110 Ac to 5 volt DC , I am not an electrical engineer, so I don't know if it should be polarized or not (but I think yes).

heathheath said:
Thanks Berkeman, The cap would be used in a rectifier circuit that transforms from 110 Ac to 5 volt DC , I am not an electrical engineer, so I don't know if it should be polarized or not (but I think yes).

Why does the cap need to have a voltage rating of 440V if it is just smoothing the 5V output of the transformer?

It should be for a mobile charger, I opened a smasung charger, and an charger apple, and both had a 400v, capacitor, What do you think ?

heathheath said:
It should be for a mobile charger, I opened a smasung charger, and an charger apple, and both had a 400v, capacitor, What do you think ?

Well, if they are rectifying the AC Mains input, and then using a DC-DC converter to make the 5V, then I can see a high-voltage polar cap being needed. In your initial post, I assumed that this was a traditional transformer followed by the rectifier and smoothing cap.

Can you post a picture?

yes of course!
1608525_10202346250830315_1286911159_n.jpg

1615029_10202346370833315_704095345_n.jpg

Yeah, that's the AC Mains input storage cap after the half-wave rectifying diode. You won't be able to reduce its size by much from the polar electrolytic that is being used already. For what reason are you looking for a smaller alternative?

I am creating a multi-tasking system with led lights, speakers and charging, and system for a course at the university, and I will use that system, I am kinda copying it. so by that, I understand that no titanium capacitors, or SMT capacitors ? I don't want to do the circuit by my hand, but only a plan of how it can be done, and what it needs

heathheath said:
I am creating a multi-tasking system with led lights, speakers and charging, and system for a course at the university, and I will use that system, I am kinda copying it. so by that, I understand that no titanium capacitors, or SMT capacitors ? I don't want to do the circuit by my hand, but only a plan of how it can be done, and what it needs

I think you mean tantalum instead of titanium... :smile:

No, that's pretty much the size of it. If you are going to show connection to the AC Mains in your project drawing, be sure to include a fuse in line with the Hot lead, and a power switch in line with the Hot lead. Do not actually build anything that involves AC Mains high voltage connections, until you know a lot more about electronics. It can be very dangerous to work with (shock and fire hazard).

Yes, I definitely meant that :P. Thank a lot for your advice, I am not going to do that. So you think there's no other systems can be used with small size to do the same job of transforming 110v AC into a 5v DC ? Plus, a polarized capacitor should be used , right ?

heathheath said:
Yes, I definitely meant that :P. Thank a lot for your advice, I am not going to do that. So you think there's no other systems can be used with small size to do the same job of transforming 110v AC into a 5v DC ? Plus, a polarized capacitor should be used , right ?

I don't think you can reduce the size of that cap much, especially not knowing what other specs are important for it (like ESR, ripple current, etc.).

A polar cap is usually smaller than a non-polar cap in physical size (for large value capacitors like this one). So if you are dealing with a DC voltage and want smallest/cheapest, yes you use a polar capacitor.

Aha, I see your point. I googled some stuff and I found this, what do you think ? they seem very small in size, and with about 500 volt, and 2.2uf.
View attachment vjcommercialseries.pdf

heathheath said:
Aha, I see your point. I googled some stuff and I found this, what do you think ? they seem very small in size, and with about 500 volt, and 2.2uf.
View attachment 66627

No you can't use that cap as the main smoothing cap after the rectifier
for a start it's not a polarised cap
you have no choice but to use what has already been suggested and what is in your photos

cheers
Dave

For electronic components, try using www.digikey.com for a big part reference. It has a very comprehensive inventory and you should find the part you want there.

Thanks a lot guys.
How can I know the circuit design of this pcb? or get anything close to it ? any ideas please ?

reverse engineer it
draw the circuit out, its a very basic circuit :smile:
The only thing you won't be sure of without some serious effort is the number of turns on the transformer windings. Everythuing else is straight forward

Dave

@davenn

Why can't he replace the 2.2uF 400V electrolytic with a 2.2uF 500V Ceramic? You said "because it is not polarized, which I don't get.

heathheath said:

heathheath said:
Thanks a lot guys.
How can I know the circuit design of this pcb? or get anything close to it ? any ideas please ?

You don't need to use this exact circuit, since you say that you are just writing a schematic to do similar things. Use Google Images to look for AC Mains to 5V switching power supplies, and use one of them.

heathheath said:
View attachment 66627

Interesting parts. Can you summarize the difference in physical size between the two parts? A ceramic non-polar capacitor will generally have superior performance compated to an electrolitic capacitor. It will also generally be more expensive...

davenn said:
No you can't use that cap as the main smoothing cap after the rectifier
for a start it's not a polarised cap
you have no choice but to use what has already been suggested and what is in your photos

cheers
Dave

meBigGuy said:
@davenn

Why can't he replace the 2.2uF 400V electrolytic with a 2.2uF 500V Ceramic? You said "because it is not polarized, which I don't get.

Polarized caps are a cheaper subset of non-polar caps. As long as the non-polar cap can handle the ripple current, I don't know of a reason it can't be used (except for price). That's pretty impressive that ceramic caps have made it to the low uF range in the 500V rating...

1. What is the purpose of a small size 2.2µF, 400 volt capacitor?

A small size 2.2µF, 400 volt capacitor is used to store electrical energy and release it when needed. It is commonly used in electronic circuits to filter out noise and stabilize voltage levels.

2. How does the capacitance of a 2.2µF capacitor affect its performance?

The capacitance of a 2.2µF capacitor determines how much charge it can store. A higher capacitance means the capacitor can store more charge and provide a larger voltage boost, while a lower capacitance may result in a weaker voltage boost.

3. What does the 400 volt rating mean for a 2.2µF capacitor?

The 400 volt rating indicates the maximum voltage that the capacitor can withstand without breaking down. It is important to choose a capacitor with a voltage rating higher than the maximum voltage in the circuit to prevent damage.

4. Can a small size 2.2µF, 400 volt capacitor be used in high frequency applications?

Yes, a small size 2.2µF, 400 volt capacitor can be used in high frequency applications as long as it has a suitable frequency response and can handle the voltage and current requirements of the circuit.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when working with 2.2µF, 400 volt capacitors?

Yes, when working with any capacitor, it is important to discharge it before handling to avoid electric shock. It is also important to follow proper handling and storage procedures to prevent damage to the capacitor and ensure safe operation.