1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Smallest possible uncertainty in the positon of an electron

1. Sep 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that the smallest possible uncertainty in the position of an electron whose speed is given by [tex]\beta=v/c[/tex] is
    [tex]\Delta x_{min}=\frac{h}{4\pi m_{0}c}(1-\beta^{2})^{1/2}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\Delta x \Delta p=\frac{h}{4\pi}[/tex]

[tex]p=mv= \frac{m_{0}}{\sqrt{1-\beta^{2}}}v[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    so from the momentum equation, i multiply in c:

[tex]p=\frac{m_{0}c}{\sqrt{1-\beta^{2}}}\frac{v}{c}
    =\frac{m_{0}c}{\sqrt{1-\beta^{2}}}\beta[/tex]

then i diffrenciate with respect to [tex]\beta[/tex] to get this:

[tex]\frac{dp}{d\beta}=\frac{m_{0}c}{\sqrt{1-\beta^{2}}}(1+\frac{\beta^{2}}{1-\beta^{2}})[/tex]

So:

[tex]\Delta p=\frac{m_{0}c}{\sqrt{1-\beta^{2}}}(1+\frac{\beta^{2}}{1-\beta^{2}})\Delta\beta[/tex]

So then i assumed that for minimum [tex]\Delta x[/tex] we need maximum [tex]\Delta p[/tex] and thus maximum [tex]\Delta \beta[/tex], which will give us [tex]\Delta \beta=1[/tex] (because max value of v=c)

But then when i sub this into the uncertainty equation i still have the [tex](1+\frac{\beta^{2}}{1-\beta^{2}})[/tex] term i cant get rid off.

And are the assumtions i am making valid?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2009 #2

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

4. Sep 11, 2009 #3
    ah ok thanks tahnks, thats a bit helpful.
    But i am still a bit unclear. That mean i dont have to do any rigourous maths like diffrenciations?

and also i am not clear on the part they said, "when [tex]\Delta p[/tex] exceeds [tex]mc[/tex], the uncertainty in energy is greater than [tex]mc^{2}[/tex]" Why?

5. Sep 11, 2009 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In SR, the relationship between energy and momentum is:

[tex]E=\sqrt{(pc)^2+(m_0c^2)^2}[/tex]

So, [itex]\Delta E \approx \left\vert\frac{\partial E}{\partial p}\right\vert\Delta p=[/itex]____?

6. Sep 11, 2009 #5

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can simplify this further:

[tex]1+\frac{\beta^{2}}{1-\beta^{2}}=\frac{(1-\beta^2)+\beta^{2}}{1-\beta^{2}}=\frac{1}{1-\beta^{2}})[/tex]

So using this method, the maximum [itex]\Delta p[/itex] would be [itex]m_{0}c(1-\beta^{2})^{-3/2}[/itex], but this is greater than [itex]m_{0}c(1-\beta^{2})^{-1/2}[/itex] by a factor of [itex](1-\beta^{2})^{-1}[/itex] and the energy argument provides tighter restrictions on [itex]\Delta p[/itex].

7. Sep 11, 2009 #6
    hi gabbagabbahey, sidetrack, what is your signature all about?

8. Sep 11, 2009 #7

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's just a line from the (hilarious IMO) TV series "Better off Ted".

9. Sep 11, 2009 #8
    oh i see, quite a new series, wasn't air in my country though. thanks.

10. Sep 11, 2009 #9
    sorry to be a bit daft, but still cat really get to the end.

Let me summarize wat i understand so far first.

The maximum possible uncertanty in E of a partical can be [tex]m_{0}c^{2}[/tex], because anything beyond that it would have enough energy to form another partical.

and from

[tex]E=\sqrt{(pc)^{2}+(m_{0}c^{2})^{2}} [/tex]

we get

[tex]\frac{\partial E}{\partial p}=\frac{pc^{2}}{\sqrt{(pc)^{2}+(m_{0}c^{2})^{2}}}[/tex]

So the uncertainty relation with be:

[tex]\Delta E=\frac{pc^{2}}{\sqrt{(pc)^{2}+(m_{0}c^{2})^{2}}} \Delta p[/tex]

so set [tex] \Delta E=m_{0}c^2 [/tex] and [tex]p=(1-\beta^{2})^{(-1/2)}m_{0}c \beta[/tex]

But i end up getting

[tex] \Delta p= \frac{m_{0}c}{\beta}}[/tex]

am i doing anything wrong along the way?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  11. Sep 12, 2009 #10
    anyone?

12. Sep 15, 2009 #11
    hi bina, I think you are close to the answear in the very first post...
    just cancel the term [tex](1+\frac{\beta^{2}}{1-\beta^{2}})[/tex], since b should be regarded as a given value. it is only dv we need to deal with. however, dv is c*db right? :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook