Smartphones apps for accessing Quadcopter Drones

In summary: This costs around $30-50. If you want to fly the drone without a controller, you could use the smart phone as a display, and buy a controller separately. In summary, it may be possible to design and develop Quadcopter Drone apps which will access, control and monitor the drone using the 2.4 GHz & 9.8 GHz wireless frequencies. However, due to the lack of a transmitter power supply and range, it is not feasible.
prashantakerkar
Is it feasible to design and development Smartphones apps which will access,control & monitor quadcopter Drones operating at 2.4 GHz & 9.8 GHz wireless frequencies?

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Computer science news on Phys.org
A Google search for "drone smartphone app" produces lots of hits. Do those not use the frequencies that you mentioned?

Likes russ_watters
The drone needs to be compatible with a smartphone app, with the main issue being self stable, since a smartphone doesn't have smooth analog controls. In the case of most aerobatic drones, you need a typical radio control transmitter which has a pair of smooth motion analog joysticks, while most camera oriented drones are self-stable, and some are autonomous, allowing multiple waypoints to be set, after which the drone will fly the waypoint path on it's own.

Thanks.

Is it feasible to design and construct future generation Smartphones having smooth analog controls i.e. Self stable having transmitter circuit either internal or external support interface to fly the aerobatic drones.

The transmitter should support the 2.4 GHz & 5.8 GHz wireless frequencies of the Quadcopter Drone.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

prashantakerkar said:
Is it feasible to design and construct future generation Smartphones having smooth analog controls i.e. Self stable having transmitter circuit either internal or external support interface to fly the aerobatic drones.

The transmitter should support the 2.4 GHz & 5.8 GHz wireless frequencies of the Quadcopter Drone.
It is almost certainly not feasible due to the transmit power required for a decent range. And if you are referring to analog transmissions, I doubt a cell phone manufacturer would spend hardware and space on a little used feature.

Likes berkeman
Thanks.

Do you feel a Smartphone interfaced with a external power box + transmitter is worth evaluated for flying a quadcopter drone with the app designed and developed for iPhones & Android devices?

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

There are already setups that use a normal radio control transmitter and a smartphone as a display device. The transmitter operates as normal, and there's a device to convert the video signal from the drone to be displayed on the smart phone.

1. How do I connect my smartphone to a quadcopter drone?

To connect your smartphone to a quadcopter drone, you will need to first download and install the corresponding app for your specific drone model. Once the app is installed, make sure your drone is turned on and your smartphone's Bluetooth or Wi-Fi is enabled. Open the app and follow the instructions to connect your phone to the drone. This process may vary slightly depending on the app and drone model.

2. What features can I access through a smartphone app for a quadcopter drone?

The features available through a smartphone app for a quadcopter drone will depend on the specific app and drone model. However, some common features include live camera feed, flight control, GPS location tracking, and battery life monitoring. Some apps may also offer advanced features such as autonomous flight and obstacle avoidance.

3. Can I use my smartphone as a controller for a quadcopter drone?

Yes, many quadcopter drone apps allow you to use your smartphone as a controller. However, this may not be as precise as using a physical controller, so it's important to practice and get used to the controls before flying your drone in more challenging environments.

4. Do I need an internet connection to use a smartphone app for a quadcopter drone?

In most cases, you do not need an internet connection to use a smartphone app for a quadcopter drone. The app will connect directly to the drone through Bluetooth or Wi-Fi. However, some advanced features such as live streaming may require an internet connection.

5. Are there any safety considerations when using a smartphone app to control a quadcopter drone?

Yes, it's important to always follow safety guidelines when using a quadcopter drone, regardless of whether you're using a physical controller or a smartphone app. Make sure to familiarize yourself with the app's features and controls before flying the drone. Additionally, always fly in open and safe areas, follow local laws and regulations, and never fly near airports or other restricted areas.