Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Smilga paper, in which he derives an estimate to the fine structure constant

1. Aug 2, 2007 #1
    I've been trying to figure out this paper by W. Smilga: Spin foams, causal links, and geometry-induced interactions

I don't have the knowledge and background to be able to determine whether his derivation of an estimate to the fine structure constant is interesting, or just a trick.

I am referring to XIV: Estimate of the Coupling Constant. Through some mathematics I don't understand yet, he gets a value for the fine structure constant of 1/137.03608245, which agrees to the real value "in five parts in ten-million".

What is the consensus of the physics community on this? Is it just numerology?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2007 #2

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

no way. no f-ing way. When Eddington went crazy he started trying to do that too.

4. Aug 22, 2007 #3

arivero

Gold Member

What is amusing is that the calculation is presented as a vindication of Tony's models.

5. Aug 22, 2007 #4

arivero

Gold Member

To save some time:

Smilga says that it rederivates Wyler formula, which is claimed to be a quotient of volumes
    [tex]
    8 \pi^2 {V(D_5)^{1/4} \over V(S_4) V(C_5)}
    [/tex]
    to be compared with [itex]\alpha / \pi[/itex]

The objects [itex]C_5,D_5,S_4[/itex] being some symmetric spaces. These volumes are claimed to evaluate, respectively, to [tex]{8 \pi^3 \over 3}, {\pi^5 \over 2^4 5!}, {8 \pi^2 \over 3}[/tex]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?