Snacks and surprises (without the surprises)

• Thread starter jimmy p
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed various people's favorite snacks, including poppadoms, beef jerky, purple jellyfish, warm salted nuts, boiled peanuts, tortilla chips, prairie oysters, olives, white chocolate Reese's, Kosher dill pickles, apple slices with peanut butter and cinnamon, larks' tongues, and peach smoothies. Some also shared unique or unusual snacks, such as purple jellyfish warmed in the microwave, a la mode with vanilla ice cream, or boiled peanuts cooked by a friend from India. There was also a brief discussion about the origin of the phrase "there is more than one way to skin a cat" and some jokes about Cockney cuisine.
jimmy p
Gold Member
So I'm sitting here eating a freshly microwaved spicy poppadom, and I'm thinking to myself, what is everyone on PF's favourite snack??

As above, mine is a poppadom to eat while I'm typing away on PF. What's yours?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Weird, purple jellyfish, warmed in the microwave, a la'mode, straightforward vanilla ice cream.

Whats a poppadom?

hmmmmmm snack eh? i would have to say beef jerky

What's a poppadom?

i don't know and i don't care

zoobyshoe said:
What's a poppadom?

What's a poppadom?

What's a poppadom?!

SIR, WHAT ISN'T A POPPADOM!

Njorl

PS - Actually, I'd like to know too.

Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure it's a species of dinosaur. Triassic. Small. Plates on the back. Crawled on all fours. Vegetarian. Usually of a cheerful disposition. Social animals, but displaying no interest in politics. Usually ate their own young as soon as they hatched, except the ones that got away. Not aquatic. Not tropical. Preferred temperate climate but spent winters in Arizona. Yeah. That was the poppadom.

No, I'm sorry. I think I was actually describing the family that used to live next door to us.

is there a mommadom?

reese's pieces! I wish I had a lifetime supply of those...

well poppadom is how the packet spells them flour things that you cook that go with currys and stuff. Poppadom, papadom, its all good.

I heard that purple jellyfish was quite a delicacy for zoobies, not just a snack.

I like warm salted nuts.

Cashews are my favorite.

Larks' tongues

Fried green plantain (occasionally banana) chips. When the season permits, the rose apple makes for a delicately flavored delicious treat.

Um, hello? Cheetos?
Not my favorite now, but when I was younger... there was no better snack- it made your fingers orange! How magically delicious! uh huhhyeah...

Anyway, my favorite snack is coffee or an orange. Eating an orange just makes me happy :) So sweet and juicy and light and fresh and mmm...

Hey, we have things like those here in England! They are called... Wotsits...

No, oranges in England? That's amazing! :surprise:
Why do you call them Wotsits? That's so goofy...

I love boiled peanuts. It's an Alabama delicacy.
But I found out my friend from India likes them too! She cooks them much better than I do. I always get them a little too salty.

We have Oranges in UK... otherwise I would be full o' scurvy! And so would Polly, my Parrot, ARRR! I don't know why Cheetos are called Wotsits, its lame, but true.

Yeah, I was just joking... perhaps we could just call them cheese-flavored corn puffs... er, I mean cheese-flavoured corn puffs :rolleyes: Too nutty ;)

lol. That is the description on the packet, and thank you for appreciating our 'u'... most important apparently.

Another cool snack or munch... pipitas - salted sunflower seeds. mmmmmmmmmmmmm tasty! i have some right now... and a kitten.. but the kitten isn't edible.

jimmy p said:
We have Oranges in UK... otherwise I would be full o' scurvy! And so would Polly, my Parrot, ARRR!
Actually, it's well known that the majority of people in the UK have never even seen a real orange, just the fake, mechanical ones. Hence the phrase: "He's as batty as a clockwork orange!"

Jimmy, I told a Cockney lady at the store that I wanted some apples and pears. She slapped me. :biggrin:

My favorite snack food? Tortilla Chips or Nachos and HOT HOT Salsa

Any and all kinds of nuts: now that makes sense doesn't it? :wink:

Last edited:
how about prairie oysters, anyone ever had those

Math Is Hard said:
I love boiled peanuts. It's an Alabama delicacy.
But I found out my friend from India likes them too! She cooks them much better than I do. I always get them a little too salty.

Me too, just love them, especially in winter time. Do you know they are great for our *ahem* intelligence too :biggrin: ?

zoobyshoe said:
Actually, it's well known that the majority of people in the UK have never even seen a real orange, just the fake, mechanical ones. Hence the phrase: "He's as batty as a clockwork orange!"

The mechanical oranges arent as tasty as the real ones - I was fortunate to be able to try both. And as for Ivan, it depends what store you went to :tongue2:

How bout olives, do you guys snack on olives? Green ones are the best.

jimmy p said:
The mechanical oranges arent as tasty as the real ones
They are if you remember to wash all the gear oil out of them first.
How bout olives, do you guys snack on olives? Green ones are the best.
Sliced black olives on salads. Green ones when I'm in a sour mood. I mean a mood for sour things.

White chocolate Reeses
Kosher dill pickles
Apple slices w/peanut butter and cinnamon

jcsd said:
Larks' tongues

They are best in aspic.

Njorl

jimmy p said:
Another cool snack or munch... pipitas - salted sunflower seeds. mmmmmmmmmmmmm tasty! i have some right now... and a kitten.. but the kitten isn't edible.
It is edible, if you don't believe, try one!

You said so because I heard from a friend of mine whose name is Shirley from Laos that some people in his country eat cats sometimes...

Last edited:
maybe that is where the saying "there is more than one way to skin a cat" originated from.

smoothie:

Mangos
some lemons/lime
bannanna

hmmmm!

Ivan Seeking said:
Jimmy, I told a Cockney lady at the store that I wanted some apples and pears. She slapped me. :biggrin:

Hello, HELLO! Is this microphone working?
psssst, psssst, thump, thump,
hello
hello