Snacks and surprises (without the surprises)

• Thread starter jimmy p
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed various people's favorite snacks, including poppadoms, beef jerky, purple jellyfish, warm salted nuts, boiled peanuts, tortilla chips, prairie oysters, olives, white chocolate Reese's, Kosher dill pickles, apple slices with peanut butter and cinnamon, larks' tongues, and peach smoothies. Some also shared unique or unusual snacks, such as purple jellyfish warmed in the microwave, a la mode with vanilla ice cream, or boiled peanuts cooked by a friend from India. There was also a brief discussion about the origin of the phrase "there is more than one way to skin a cat" and some jokes about Cockney cuisine.
BIG peach smoothie with LOTS of whipped creme on top (then stirred in). :BIGGRIN:

Physics news on Phys.org
Ivan Seeking said:
Hello, HELLO! Is this microphone working?
psssst, psssst, thump, thump,
hello
hello

lol, I acknowledged but it was in a post to zoobyshoe. Next time you are in a Cockney restaurant, tell the chef his food has the consistency of Henry the Third. :rofl: :wink:

What sort of food do they sell at a Cockney restaurant? The great East London cuisine of pie and chips? Of course, that comes free with a pint of lager and a blazing row.

Matt

A raw salted herring, hold it by the tail fin, dip in some raw onion, and enjoy :biggrin:
Now there is something you can treat yourself with :smile:

Monique said:
A raw salted herring, hold it by the tail fin, dip in some raw onion, and enjoy :biggrin:
Now there is something you can treat yourself with :smile:

Yeuch... sounds like the sort of filthy stuff they eat here in Norway.

They also have this strange one involving a fish, a hole in the ground, some urine and waiting a year... yummy!

Matt

Is that the stuff they call Gevelkefisk? (or something like that...) We have some scandanavians in our area and they eat some kind of weird fish thing about which everyone says 'you have to develop a taste for it...' :eek:

Monique, are you part sea lion? :rofl:
That sounds like what we used to feed the seals and sea lions at Fisherman's wharf in San Francisco!

Maybe it's lutefisk. "smelly old dried fish soaked in lye"

And then there's that rotting shark stuff that they eat in Iceland, I mean they literally let it rot for several months, all slimy and smelly. It was on National Geographic.

Hey, you guys just have underdeveloped taste buds :biggrin: :rofl:

haring.jpg

Hmm, if I want my tastebuds 'developed' I'd much rather do it with a curry.

Evo said:
Maybe it's lutefisk. "smelly old dried fish soaked in lye"
YEAH! That's the stuff! :yuck:

And then there's that rotting shark stuff that they eat in Iceland, I mean they literally let it rot for several months, all slimy and smelly. It was on National Geographic.
:surprise: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

How about making a snack of these krinkle-cut French fries while throwing that cheeseburger and chocolate shake down your throat;

http://eat.bees.net/lep1.htm

Looks good to me! :approve:

jimmy p said:
lol, I acknowledged but it was in a post to zoobyshoe. Next time you are in a Cockney restaurant, tell the chef his food has the consistency of Henry the Third. :rofl: :wink:

Poor Henry!

tsk tsk... got to know your rhyming slang... Henry the Third = turd, and if you did know that, then it is for the unenlightened

peanuts

Polly said:
Me too, just love them, especially in winter time. Do you know the are great for our *ahem* intelligence too :biggrin: ?

Really? I had never heard that. Is that true for all nuts or just peanuts?

jimmy p said:
tsk tsk... got to know your rhyming slang... Henry the Third = turd, and if you did know that, then it is for the unenlightened

I got it. Poor Henry! :biggrin:

I will never ask for a Henry again - the chocolate candy bar sold in the US.

Ivan Seeking said:
I will never ask for a Henry again - the chocolate candy bar sold in the US.

:surprise: :yuck: :rofl:

BoulderHead said:
How about making a snack of these krinkle-cut French fries while throwing that cheeseburger and chocolate shake down your throat;

http://eat.bees.net/lep1.htm

Looks good to me! :approve:

Now that's a snack AND a surprise!

Echo 6 Sierra said:
White chocolate Reeses
Kosher dill pickles
Apple slices w/peanut butter and cinnamon
Echo 6 Sierra is going to have a baby!

Math Is Hard said:
Really? I had never heard that. Is that true for all nuts or just peanuts?

Peanuts seem to be quite effective when cooked with water (steamed, boiled, stewed or in soup), the other nuts don't seem to have that "side-effect".

What "intelligence" or "side effect" is this?

Robert Zaleski said:
Echo 6 Sierra is going to have a baby!

NEGATRON, dude. But I can now see why you would think that. Plus, I don't have the right plumbing. The closest I could ever have come will have been when I passed a kidney stone that closely resembled a sea urchin. :surprise: :cry: :eek:

Hmm.. speaking of peanuts, my favorite snack is peanut butter & crackers.

Last edited:
motai said:
Hmm.. speaking of peanuts, my favorite snack is peanut butter & crackers.

That's why you're so bloody brilliant, Motai, old chap!

[oops! sorry, I forgot you're not British - again.]
:rofl:

Hey! I saw something just like this at Sea World!
Did everyone clap when they were done eating fish? :rofl:

haring.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Math Is Hard said:
That's why you're so bloody brilliant, Motai, old chap!

[oops! sorry, I forgot you're not British - again.]
:rofl:

If I were British then I would have probably added tea and biscuits to that list :smile:.

Gawd Blimey, them crusty dragons somehow ended up in me nosh! Crikey! That definitely throws the spanner in the works. The wonky, headcased duff was absobloodylootely gormless and a bunch of sixes and sevens. He'd better gimme another crumpling bugger all, else id be cheesed off. :biggrin:

motai said:
Gawd Blimey, them crusty dragons somehow ended up in me nosh! Crikey! That definitely throws the spanner in the works. The wonky, headcased duff was absobloodylootely gormless and a bunch of sixes and sevens. He'd better gimme another crumpling bugger all, else id be cheesed off. :biggrin:

WOW! Impressive! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Jimmy P, can you translate that?

Any brand of BBQ-flavored potato chips, washed down with fully-sugared Coca Cola. Hard to beat, folks.

Ivan Seeking said:
Hey! I saw something just like this at Sea World!
Did everyone clap when they were done eating fish? :rofl:

Daddy, I want to feed the Dutch people! Can I, Daddy? Pleeeeeeease...?

motai said:
If I were British then I would have probably added tea and biscuits to that list :smile:

Don't forget the scones and clotted cream!

Gawd Blimey, them crusty dragons somehow ended up in me nosh! Crikey!

Oh, dear something (eg.a fly) has landed in my food. Dang.

That definitely throws the spanner in the works.

That's screwed that plan up/that has ruined that.

The wonky, headcased duff was absobloodylootely gormless and a bunch of sixes and sevens.

That guy is crazy

He'd better gimme another crumpling bugger all, else id be cheesed off.

I better get some more food (eg. a crumpet) or I will be very annoyed.

:biggrin:

Speaks for itself.

That's awesome, Jimmy! You should work for the UN!

jimmy p said:
Oh, dear something (eg.a fly) has landed in my food. Dang.
Interesting. According to the online British slang dictionary I used, a "crusty dragon" registered as a booger. :biggrin:

jimmy p said:
That's screwed that plan up/that has ruined that.
I guess I screwed up there.

jimmy p said:
That guy is crazy
bluntly put. The original is slightly too long, no?

Oooh that's a new one, I didnt know crusty dragon was a booger. I would have just said a piece of snot. :biggrin:

Thanx Math is Hard, maybe I can improve communication that way!

motai said:
Interesting. According to the online British slang dictionary I used, a "crusty dragon" registered as a booger. :biggrin:

I think that's the only one I didn't know :wink:

But of course, us southerners have a much more sophisticated vocabulary, tentatively venturing to use sesquipedalian colloquialism whenever in the propinquity of educated discourse.

If you catch my drift.

Matt