Snake Sighting: Terrifying Run-In in My Backyard

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about various experiences and opinions regarding snakes. Some people find them scary and dangerous, while others have had positive encounters with them. Some suggestions were made for keeping snakes away from homes, such as having cats or skunks. The conversation also touched on the adaptability and abilities of snakes, including their intelligence and potential for harm. A few individuals shared their personal experiences with snakes, both good and bad. Overall, the conversation showed a wide range of attitudes and opinions towards snakes.
I used to catch garter snakes as a kid. You have to hold them right behind the head, and they aways open their mouths really wide.

I looked in the mouth of one very carefully, once, and didn't see any fangs, so I stuck the tip of my finger into see what its bite would feel like. I figured it would be a little harmless pressure. I was very alarmed, though, when it clamped its jaws together and cut the skin of my finger with its tiny, tiny razor sharp teeth. I flug it up in the air and ran inside. My finger had a U shaped cut in it that was bleeding.

The bite wasn't strong at all, its teeth were just amazingly sharp.

So, I guess all snakes have some kind of teeth, even if they don't have fangs.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I was way past freaking out..I was looking in the face of death, and death slithered back at me!

I love snakes... they are interesting once u understand them...
back where i live its rather common of having to encounter with the deadly foe(The Cobra, Russels Viper, Saw Scaled Viper and the Common Krait) quite often...

Stories from where i live..
http://www.nationalgeographic.co.in/explore/adventure_diaries_india/stephendiaries_day5.asp

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
I was trying to get out of my backyard gate when I looked down and saw a snake. SNAKES ARE SCARY! I had to get a stick and hit the ground near it to get it to go away. :cry: SNAKES ARE SCARY!

And to think I was walking around barefooted.

Apparently the cats have been slacking off, it's their job to keep these things away from the house. Besides, they eat frogs and I love frogs.

Stupid jaws of death eats everything, but she didn't even look at the snake. :devil:

I need some skunks, they eat snakes don't they?
This is a handy use for the official franzbear® M2A1-7 model
M2A1-7 model. :approve:

I use a fiberglass shovel and rip off its head. I do the same thing with rabid dogs. :tongue:

Yaaks said:
Stories from where i live..
It says in India there are as many as 20,000 deaths by snakebite a year, and that the 18 foot long King Cobra can rear up to a third of its height and look a six foot tall man in the eye.

Snakes rule, as do spiders, scorpions, and hand puppets. Unlike humans, they only attack in self defense (for the most part).

SpaceTiger said:
Snakes rule, as do spiders, scorpions, and hand puppets. Unlike humans, they only attack in self defense (for the most part).
Oh, yes, I forgot - I have no pity for venomous hand puppets either. :devil: Unless they have those googly eyes. I'm a sucker for the googly eyes. :!)

Don't worry, it's just as scared of you as you are of it.
The only difference being when you are afraid, you run, when they are afraid, venom time.

zoobyshoe said:
It says in India there are as many as 20,000 deaths by snakebite a year, and that the 18 foot long King Cobra can rear up to a third of its height and look a six foot tall man in the eye.
People from rural-India, mostly Un-Educated have this sense of extreme fear of snakes to which they often fall prey(out of carelessness ofcourse)..Most of them hardly bother to wear footwear while working at the fields(The sad part is, most of them can't afford a decent pair of sneakers)..

SpaceTiger said:
Humans attack for fun?

[edit:eek:h yes, hunting]

matthyaouw said:
Don't worry, it's just as scared of you as you are of it.
The only difference being when you are afraid, you run, when they are afraid, venom time.
Maybe I should keep a dead rat in my purse to throw to the snake if I'm ever attacked. Ooh, and I could fill the rat with lead, so when the snake eats it, the snake is too heavy to chase me. Better yet, I could just keep a big chunk of lead in my purse to drop on the snake and crush it. But I'd better wear really thick boots in case I accidentally drop the lead on my foot. The boots would also protect me from the snake bite, so that works out well. :cool:

Last edited:
ive held a huge python in real :) and seen a snake eat a mouse in real too...that was inside a cage though

here are a few pics taken by me...
1>A Trinket in my backyard
http://us.a1.yahoofs.com/users/41e41964z35c4715b/b128/__sr_/842d.jpg?phDlwJDBzMzciGxA
2>Ahhhhhhh!
http://us.f3.yahoofs.com/users/41e41964z35c4715b/b128/__sr_/bb0b.jpg?phDlwJDBI3dUNCmK
Totally harmless (non-venomous)
3>The Scary, deadly Malabar Pit Viper from a trekking expedition, Coorg(India)..
http://us.f3.yahoofs.com/users/41e41964z35c4715b/b128/__sr_/e8e5.jpg?phDlwJDBoxYeok4d

Yaaks said:
Links don't work for me. Anyone else? I want to see the snakes. :frown:

Evo said:
I was trying to get out of my backyard gate when I looked down and saw a snake. SNAKES ARE SCARY! I had to get a stick and hit the ground near it to get it to go away. :cry: SNAKES ARE SCARY!

And to think I was walking around barefooted.

Apparently the cats have been slacking off, it's their job to keep these things away from the house. Besides, they eat frogs and I love frogs.

Stupid jaws of death eats everything, but she didn't even look at the snake. :devil:

I need some skunks, they eat snakes don't they?

I despise snakes too, Ophidiophobia is the common name for those who fear them, and I totally see myself falling into that category. Have I ever mentioned my story of how I became scared of them? At age 4, visiting my granny in rural NC, I had to use the "bathroom"-aka outhouse. They never endulged in getting the luxury of plumbing. As I sat down on the pot with my pants around my ankles, a little garter snake slithered around my feet. Since then, I've never been the same.

Kerrie said:
As I sat down on the pot with my pants around my ankles, a little garter snake slithered around my feet. Since then, I've never been the same.

That's the stuff nightmares are made of.
I can understand you can't ever get "free" of that experience..

is it not she beautiful ?

Attachments

• king_cobra01.jpg
    king_cobra01.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 354
  • King%20Cobra%20-%20India~1.jpg
    King%20Cobra%20-%20India~1.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 366
pattylou said:
So... you couldn't sleep then til you killed a cricket? :confused: :confused:
That was my problem the first night here...those big fat crickets also chirp a lot! They keep coming in through the garage.

I don't mind snakes that much as long as they keep their distance. They eat bugs and mice, which I think it a good job to let them keep doing. I don't even mind them up close as long as I'm positive they are non-venomous. Really, I'd much rather have a snake in my attic than mice; at least I know the snake won't be shredding my sweaters if it turns them into a nest. :rolleyes: :uhh:

And where's DocToxyn? A whole thread on snakes and I don't see him in it anywhere?!

Does anyone remember the movie "Sssssss"?

...Deliciously oblivious to the mechanisms of Dr. Stoner, David bumbles about the film questioning changes in his physiology including shedding his skin, developing scales, and turning green. Unfortunately for Dr. Stoner's daughter, she does not uncover her father's plot until it is too late, finding her father dead thanks to a bite from David [now] the King Cobra...his end [comes] thanks to a hungry mongoose.
http://www.ugo.com/channels/filmtv/features/snakeweek/fe-snakes/ssssss.asp

A mongoose! YES! Thanks Ivan! How could I forget Riki Tiki Tavi?

Moonbear, snakes will shred sweaters, they're evil. :devil:

I thought for sure this thread would lure Doc Toxyn in. :frown:

Evo said:
A mongoose! YES! Thanks Ivan! How could I forget Riki Tiki Tavi?
Riki Tiki Tavi is the first thing that came to mind when I read Ivan's post too! :approve: He was so cute.

Moonbear, snakes will shred sweaters, they're evil. :devil:
NOOOOOOOOOO! *runs up to attic to get rid of mouse-hunting, sweater-shredding, furry, fanged, flying snake*

I thought for sure this thread would lure Doc Toxyn in. :frown:
Tsk tsk...what is he up to? He must have some experiment keeping busy. :grumpy: Probably counting sweaty mouse feet or something like that.

Moonbear said:
Tsk tsk...what is he up to? He must have some experiment keeping busy. :grumpy: Probably counting sweaty mouse feet or something like that.
That's right, he studies sweaty mouse feet. :tongue:

I don't think mice sweat. They're like Russ.

Ivan Seeking said:
I don't think mice sweat. They're like Russ.
:rofl: Poor Russ. But he looks hot in his shorts and sunglasses, but you're right, he didn't look sweaty. :tongue:

Evo said:
:rofl: Poor Russ. But he looks hot in his shorts and sunglasses, but you're right, he didn't look sweaty. :tongue:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

scmhooze schmooze schmooze

Did you tell Evo Child about her fame in the caption competition? :shy:

Ivan Seeking said:
I don't think mice sweat.
DocToxyn has scientific evidence that they get sweaty feet. :biggrin: I wonder if he's asked Dr. Scholls for funding? :tongue:
They're like Russ.
Nah, he's just extra crispy. :cool:

Ivan Seeking said:
Did you tell Evo Child about her fame in the caption competition? :shy:
That wasn't the Evo Child, that was my older daughter, the Spawn of Evo. (no, I'm afraid to tell her) :redface:

Evo said:
(no, I'm afraid to tell her) :redface:

uh oh... :uhh:

rut roh! :uhh:

wolram said:
Oh and by the way snakes can fly.

http://www.flyingsnake.org/

An absolutely putrid and horrid sight. It's bad enough they slither, but fly?!

Yaaks said:
1>A Trinket in my backyard
http://us.a1.yahoofs.com/users/41e41964z35c4715b/b128/__sr_/842d.jpg?phDlwJDBzMzciGxA
2>Ahhhhhhh!
http://us.f3.yahoofs.com/users/41e41964z35c4715b/b128/__sr_/bb0b.jpg?phDlwJDBI3dUNCmK
Totally harmless (non-venomous)
3>The Scary, deadly Malabar Pit Viper from a trekking expedition, Coorg(India)..
http://us.f3.yahoofs.com/users/41e41964z35c4715b/b128/__sr_/e8e5.jpg?phDlwJDBoxYeok4d
ok,, i have a problem linking PF and my yahoo-photo album, is there any other way i can upload the pix for viewing on PF..

Yaaks said:
ok,, i have a problem linking PF and my yahoo-photo album, is there any other way i can upload the pix for viewing on PF..
Sure. Reply to this thread; below the text box, there's a box that says Additional Options; inside there's an Attach Files area; Click Manage Attachments. Or you can upload them to another site and link to there.

All the pix are in order,,,
1>The broze back tree snake
2>.....".....
3>The deadly Malabar Pit Viper

@honestrosewater,,, thnx a million

Attachments

• 842d.jpg
    842d.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 287
  • bb0b.jpg
    bb0b.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 406