Snell's law through three layers?

In summary, a piece of gallium phosphide with the highest known optical density of 3.5 is frozen in ice with a third lowest optical density of 1.31. A beam of light at a 25 degree angle from the normal is directed downward through the ice-gallium phosphide boundary, with the light emerging from the gallium phosphide 12.25 mm away from where it would have emerged if the solid was pure ice. Using Snell's law, the thickness of the gallium phosphide layer can be calculated to be approximately 40 mm. The distance of 12.25 mm was obtained from subtracting the distance the light traveled in the ice from the total distance of 12.55 mm.
MCATPhys
A piece of gallium phosphide is frozen in ice. a beam of light is directed downward through the ice-gallium phosphide boundary at a 25 degree angle from the normal. The light emerges from the gallium phosphide 12.25 mm away from where it would have had the solid been pure ice. Find the thickness of the gallium phosphide layer. Gallium phosphide has the highest known optical density (3.5), and ice has the third lowest (1.31).

I know this question is supposed to be easy in that we need to apply snell's law. but can someone please draw an image of what it looks like... because i have no idea what they are asking... is the ice layer on top of the gallium layer...

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi MCATPhys! :wink:

It's the same as if the question asked about a piece of gallium phosphide in air, with light hitting it at 25º …

but instead of air, there's ice. :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hi MCATPhys! :wink:

It's the same as if the question asked about a piece of gallium phosphide in air, with light hitting it at 25º …

but instead of air, there's ice. :smile:

So...

(1.31)sin25 = 3.5sinx
x = 9.10 degrees

then... tan9.10 = 12.25/height
height = 76.5 mm

Is that right? But the book says the answer is 42.2 mm.

MCATPhys said:
then... tan9.10 = 12.25/height

ah … but 12.25 isn't the distance from the normal, it's the distance from the 25º line. :wink:

it's the distance from the 25º line.

I really don't get it... :((((

If the gallium phosphide wasn't there (so the light was going through pure ice), then the light would continue at 25º.

The question says that the light is 12.25 mm away from that line.

but how do i calculate the distance from the normal the ray of light travels in ice. I'm guessing I subtract that number from 12.55 to get the actual distance.

btw.. thanks so much for helping me

If the thickness is d, then the light would have traveled dtan25º from the normal. :wink:

(btw, is it 12.25 or 12.55?)

okay... that means the light in the phosphide traveled dtan25 + 12.25...

so...
tan9.10 = (dtan25 + 12.25)/d
d = -40.0 mm

I suppose that's close enough to the right answer. I checked the question in the book again.. and it says 12.25 - does that sound wrong?

Hi MCATPhys! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)
MCATPhys said:
… I checked the question in the book again.. and it says 12.25 - does that sound wrong?

No, I only asked because you wrote 12.55 in your post #6. :wink:

1. What is Snell's law?

Snell's law describes the relationship between the angles of incidence and refraction when light passes through different mediums.

2. How does Snell's law apply to three layers?

In the context of three layers, Snell's law can be used to calculate the angle of refraction as light passes through each layer, as well as the overall change in direction of the light.

3. What are the factors that affect Snell's law through three layers?

The primary factors that affect Snell's law through three layers are the refractive indexes of each layer and the angle of incidence of the light.

4. How can Snell's law through three layers be applied in real-world situations?

Snell's law through three layers is commonly used in optics, such as in the design of lenses, prisms, and other optical devices. It can also be applied in the study of light and its behavior through different materials.

5. Are there any limitations to Snell's law through three layers?

Snell's law through three layers assumes that the layers are parallel and have flat surfaces. It also does not take into account other factors such as absorption and scattering of light, which may affect its accuracy in certain situations.