Snell's law experiment with glass block

In summary, a student is conducting an experiment to find the refractive index of a rectangular block of glass. The student measures the angle of incidence and angle of refraction for different angles of incidence, using Snell's law to calculate the refractive index. The independent variable in this investigation is the angle of incidence, and the dependent variable is the angle of refraction. Safety precautions should be taken to ensure a dark room to prevent stray light from affecting the experiment. Possible sources of error could be inaccurate measurements due to thick and splayed light beams. Using light of a different color could also affect the results due to different wavelengths, which can be calculated using the Sellmeier equation.
Barclay

Homework Statement

[/B]
A student wants to find the refractive index of a rectangular block of glass. He draws around the block and marks the position of a ray of light that travels through the block. With the block removed, the student can draw in a normal line and then measure the angle of incidence and the angle of refraction. The student repeats this process for different angles of incidence. His measurements are shown in the table.

Angle of incidence Angle of refraction

10° ...... 6.5°
20° ........ 13°
30° .......20°
40° ....... 25°
50° .......32°
60° ........35°

Homework Equations

Snells law
Refractive index = (sin i / sin r)

3. QUESTIONS & the attempt at a solution

(i)
Draw a diagram to show the measurements the student needs to make.

I'm okay with this part

(ii) What was the independent variable in this investigation? What was the dependent variable?

Independent variable is the angle of incidence (because it is the one that can be varied).
Dependent variable is the angle of refraction (because it is dependent on the angle of incidence).

(iii) What, if any, safety precautions should be taken if this experiment is carried out in the classroom?

Ensure that the room is dark for there is no stray light that might make the ray of light difficult to see.

(iv) Describe two possible reasons the measurements may not be completely accurate.

The beams of light may be too thick and splayed so measurements of angles will be inaccurate.

(v) What difference would it make to the results if light of a different color was used in the experiment?

The wavelength will be different so the angle of refraction will be different.
What formula links the angle of refraction and the wavelength?Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Barclay

Barclay said:
(i) Draw a diagram to show the measurements the student needs to make.

I'm okay with this part

When doing homework problems on the forum or elsewhere ... it is a good thing to show your working diagrams etc
to make sure the student has the correct understanding
Barclay said:
(iii) What, if any, safety precautions should be taken if this experiment is carried out in the classroom?

Ensure that the room is dark for there is no stray light that might make the ray of light difficult to see.

That's not really a safety issue is it ? ... that's more of an experiment contamination issue :wink:
when speaking of safety precautions, I would expect them to be referring to student safety as they did the experiment

so in that light, consider the light sources, that can produce a narrow beam, that you may use for this experiment
one would require safety eyewear and one wouldn't ... what would they be ?

Barclay said:
(v) What difference would it make to the results if light of a different color was used in the experiment?

The wavelength will be different so the angle of refraction will be different.
What formula links the angle of refraction and the wavelength?

you already know that, you listed it near the top of your post :smile:
so write it out in full, and refer to the wiki page on it if you are not sure Dave

Last edited:
Hello, I don't know how to paste my own pictures on here so I've got some from the internet:https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/85/Refraction_photo.png
refind.gif

davenn said:
so in that light, consider the light sources, that can produce a narrow beam, that you may use for this experiment
one would require safety eyewear and one wouldn't ... what would they be ?

A laser light can be used such as from a laser pen or a laser spirit level (used by builders)
Regarding a formula linking wavelength and refractive index I found this

snells_law.png

Last edited:
Barclay said:
What formula links the angle of refraction and the wavelength?
Do a search on the Sellmeier equation.
Barclay said:
Hello, I don't know how to paste my own pictures on here so I've got some from the internet:
Upload a file from your machine. Use the UPLOAD icon at the lower right of the edit panel.

Likes davenn
Barclay said:
(ii) What was the independent variable in this investigation? What was the dependent variable?

Independent variable is the angle of incidence (because it is the one that can be varied).
Dependent variable is the angle of refraction (because it is dependent on the angle of incidence).

Have I got the independent and dependent variables mixed up?

I'm concerned because I read somewhere that : x-axis = independent variable y-axis = dependent variable.

But later in the question in the book it says: Draw a graph of sin i (y-axis) against sin r (x-axis).
gneill said:
Do a search on the Sellmeier equation.
Have seen it but it's beyond High School level. Way above my needs. Thanks

1. What is Snell's Law?

Snell's Law, also known as the law of refraction, is a scientific principle that describes how light waves are bent or refracted when they pass through different mediums with varying refractive indices.

2. How does the Snell's Law experiment with glass block work?

In this experiment, a beam of light is directed at a glass block at a certain angle. The light enters the glass block and is refracted, and then exits the block at a different angle. By measuring the angles of incidence and refraction, we can calculate the refractive index of the glass block.

3. What materials are needed for the Snell's Law experiment with glass block?

To conduct this experiment, you will need a glass block, a light source such as a laser pointer, a protractor to measure angles, and a ruler or measuring tape to determine the distance traveled by the light.

4. What factors can affect the results of the Snell's Law experiment?

The results of the Snell's Law experiment can be affected by the accuracy of the measurements, the precision of the equipment used, and the smoothness of the surface of the glass block. Other factors such as temperature and impurities in the glass can also impact the results.

5. What are the applications of Snell's Law in real life?

Snell's Law is applicable in many real-life situations, such as the design of lenses for eyeglasses and cameras, the bending of light in fiber optics, and the formation of rainbows in the sky. It is also used in the study of ocean waves and seismic waves in geophysics.