How does a snowboarder turn by shifting center of mass to the edge?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Mash
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Physics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
Mash
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Hey there,

I am trying to make a snowboarding game and want relatively realistic physics involved.

I have implemented gravity and now the snowboarder slides down the hill with appropriate acceleration.

My next step is to implement turning. I will treat the snowboarder as if he is a particle so I don't have to deal with torque or angular momentum.

Could anybody explain how the snowboarder changes direction as is center of mass shifts to the edge of the board?

Thanx
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to turn you have to model friction.
The snowboarder turns by leaning to put more weight on one edge which digs into the snow, icnreases friction and slows down - putting a toque (turning force) on the board.
O'Reilly has a good book "physics for game developers" which incidentaly is also a very clear textbook treatment of dynamics.