1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

So basic question about Charge density on the surface of the conductor

1. Jun 18, 2014 #1
    Hello
    I want to know surface charge density of the conductor in all part of that is same or not?
    for example in this shape ?
    3065864600_1403087286.jpg
    if isn't why and how the surface charge density spread?
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2014 #2

CAF123

Gold Member

What are your thoughts? Compare the given shape to, say, a sphere. What is the difference?

4. Jun 19, 2014 #3
    Thanks dear CAF123
    you mean surface charge density at different point of a conductor are the same? point 1 and 2 have same surface charge density?
    7272210400_1403158339.jpg
    if yes? why surface charge density should be same?
    if no?how can find surface charge density at different point and different shape?

5. Jun 19, 2014 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Dear baby,

Just for my information: is there an external electric field ?

A (ideal) conductor is characterized by the fact that there are no potential differences between points on the surface. If there were, the charge would move until there are no more.

In the absence of an external field that means all electric field lines are perpendicular to the surface and equipotential lines parallel to it. Hence evenly distributed surface charge...

6. Jun 19, 2014 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Actually, it has a unevenly distributed surface charge.

For an isolated conducting sphere, the potential at the surface is given by [itex]\displaystyle V(R)=\frac{Q}{4\pi\epsilon_0 R}= \frac{\sigma R}{\epsilon_0}[/itex]

Consider each end of the conductor you show in the figure.

attachment.php?attachmentid=70728&stc=1&d=1403238050.jpg

The left end appears to be a section of a sphere with a relatively large radius. The right end a section of a sphere with much smaller radius.

It's clear that the surface charge density, σ, depends upon the radius of curvature.

Attached Files:

7. Jun 20, 2014 #6
    I disagree. See SammyS' post.

Surface charge density is governed by equation :

σ1r12r2

when you connect two conductors. From here surface charge density is inversely related to the radius of conductor.

So at peaks charge density is maximum and it's unevenly distributed.

8. Jun 20, 2014 #7

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I stand corrected for my last sentence! My "Hence evenly distributed surface charge... " wasn't thought through. Too many simple spherically symmetric exercises...

I hope the stuff before can stay standing, though ?

9. Jun 20, 2014 #8

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yup.

The potential is uniform throughout the conductor (under electrostatic conditions).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted