So much to choose from (Majors that is) What is the difference

• Programs
  • Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Difference
In summary, Casey is thinking about whether to major in engineering or applied physics, but is unsure of the difference between the two fields. She has studied physics in her major and is interested in the job market for physicists and engineers. She is also interested in continuing her education after graduating.
Saladsamurai
I am finishing up a 2 year Liberal Arts degree (how useless:rolleyes:) and will be transfering out to a 4 year school. I love math and physics. I have never taken an engineering class, but for some reason I can't stop thinking about whether to take on a major in it...or physics.

I know this topic comes up repeatedly, but I am pulling my hair out here. I have until the end of the month before applications should be in (and no...I don't have all the time in the world; I am getting old).

What is the difference between Applied Physics and Engineering?

What have you studied in your Physics Major? Applied Physics Major?

Why should I get a degree in Astronomy/physics?

I like all of these subjects, but how the crap am I to decide what to major in if I do not know what job I want?

I feel bad for kids today...Holy surmounting pressure Batman!

Any insight is great...sorry for a repeat topic..but its my turn in the barrel:cry:

Casey

Physics news on Phys.org
Take a look at this wikipedia page for the difference between applied physics and engineering (the first paragraph seemed useful) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Applied_physics. As for your dilemma, I'm afraid I can't really help you since I didn't studied physics, but good luck!

As a real life example, this summer I had research experience in applied physics working with semiconductor materials for the purpose of using them in future technologies. We were not building the technologies however, but analyzing physical properties of the materials that would be essential knowledge for someone building those future technologies. This is an example of applied physics.

Last edited:
GO1~ That makes sense now. Thanks. I guess I just want to do everything. I want the degree that gives me the most options.

I plan on doing at least a Masters but most likely a Ph.D. So I know that helps me to do more. BUt, I am not sure where to start. Physics/Math seems like a great foundation for everything. But I do not know what it would be like to try to do undergrad physics and then grad engineering.

Is that years more added on to school than a regular PhD? Or is it commonplace to go to engineering grad school with a physics degree?

Casey

Saladsamurai said:
Or is it commonplace to go to engineering grad school with a physics degree?

Yes, it is. At the small school where I teach, most of our physics majors go on to grad school for a master's in engineering. You have to take some more courses there than if you had come out of a engineering bachelor's program, but it doesn't slow you down a lot.

Saladsamurai said:
What is the difference between Applied Physics and Engineering?

In my opinion, engineering deals with the application of scientific priciples to achieve a solution to a real life, everyday problem. Whereas, physics deals more with the "why" the problem exists or "how" is it occurring.

Also, you might want to consider the job market for a physicist and that of an engineer. I believe in general, if you only have only a BS in physics and not an advanced graduate degree you will be limited in where you find employment or at least in your salary. A BS in engineering, however, will land you a job with a decent salary starting out, and depending on what area you specialize in, may be quite lucrative.

Saladsamurai said:
I guess I just want to do everything. I want the degree that gives me the most options.

Side note:

I understand this attitude very well. Just a little advice from somebody who has learned the hard way: learn to focus. You have limited time and resources. This doesn't mean you don't look left or right. But you have to find out how many options you can cope with. Too few options is bad, too many options is also bad.

Triple O hit the nail right on the head. Plus, you can always continue your education after you graduate, which is actually a really smart thing to do so you can keep up with changing technology or new theories.

stewartcs said:
Triple O hit the nail right on the head. Plus, you can always continue your education after you graduate, which is actually a really smart thing to do so you can keep up with changing technology or new theories.

Yes. My plan is to always continue with my education (hopefully until I am just too old to get to a college anymore and even then I'll just read), I am just trying to figure out where the best place to start is.

I don't say that I wasted my time getting the Liberal Arts degree, because if I did not, I don't know when I would have rekindled my love for thw sciences. But, I am 27, and would like not to take too many more indirect routes...

Siiiiiiigggggghhhhhhh.

Casey

Saladsamurai said:
Yes. My plan is to always continue with my education (hopefully until I am just too old to get to a college anymore and even then I'll just read), I am just trying to figure out where the best place to start is.

So you're in the lucky position of not having to earn money ? Congrats ! :wink:

Otherwise you will have to reason about why somebody should pay you for just learning. Usually you get paid for applying your knowledge (e.g. teaching or producing). And even if you're not forced to apply it (because your parents are rich enough), you might want to do so, because if you don't, your brain will soon start to forget what you have learned so far.

OOO said:
So you're in the lucky position of not having to earn money ? Congrats ! :wink:

Otherwise you will have to reason about why somebody should pay you for just learning. Usually you get paid for applying your knowledge (e.g. teaching or producing). And even if you're not forced to apply it (because your parents are rich enough), you might want to do so, because if you don't, your brain will soon start to forget what you have learned so far.

You have made the assumption that just because one chooses to make education a lifelong journey, that one need not have any other obligations:wink:

My parents are far from rich...and I am 27, not 7. From my experience, there is always time to learn.

Casey

Saladsamurai said:
You have made the assumption that just because one chooses to make education a lifelong journey, that one need not have any other obligations:wink:

My parents are far from rich...and I am 27, not 7. From my experience, there is always time to learn.

Casey

No offense. If your concept works, then fine. I'm doing my PhD now after a few years of work in the industry, and I find it hard to reconcile this with caring for a child, high living standards, etc... It's a tradeoff between earning money and playing around. After all it would be quite helpful if I had rich parents. :biggrin:

None taken. And rich parents would be swwweeeeetttttt:tongue2:

Casey

THIS SUCKS. I need to pick something like yesterday.

Saladsamurai said:
Physics/Math seems like a great foundation for everything. But I do not know what it would be like to try to do undergrad physics and then grad engineering.

This is what I'm currently doing. Double majoring in Physics/Math, then hoping to go into aerospace engineering for my masters. Not too sure how it's going to work out, but hopefully it does haha.

What are the different types of majors?

There are several types of majors, including STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math), humanities, social sciences, and fine arts. Within these broad categories, there are also many specific majors to choose from.

What is the difference between a major and a minor?

A major is the main subject area that a student focuses on in their college studies, while a minor is a secondary subject area. Minors typically require fewer courses and credits than majors and are often used to supplement or complement a student's major.

How do I choose the right major for me?

Choosing the right major can be a difficult decision. It's important to consider your interests, skills, and career goals when making this choice. You can also talk to academic advisors, take introductory courses in different subjects, and conduct informational interviews with professionals in fields you are considering.

Can I change my major after starting college?

Yes, it is possible to change your major after starting college. However, it is important to carefully consider the potential impact on your graduation timeline and course requirements. It is best to consult with an academic advisor when considering a major change.

Are there any majors that have better job prospects than others?

While some majors may have more direct career paths than others, the job market is constantly changing and there is no guarantee of employment in any specific field. It's important to choose a major that aligns with your interests and strengths, as that can lead to greater job satisfaction and success in the long run.