So what is the aim of being billionaire?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Phys988
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
95 replies · 18K views
montoyas7940 said:
I am pretty dadgummed far from England, but I know the term. Have you heard of Irish Bull?

No what's that an Irishman who's kissed the blarney stone? :smile: I don't mind being pulled up for anything, if I am in fact guilty of it, but I obviously know ten times more about Irish culture than the people who considered the term racist? I wouldn't be surprised - knowing the sense of humour the Irish have about themselves from personal experience - if they didn't invent the term themselves. They certainly claim credit for 75% of Irish jokes. :smile: I say they, as I'm only half Irish.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Here is sense A.4 of the headword Irish in the OED

OED said:
Irish in character or nature; having what are considered
Irish characteristics. spec. Used of seemingly contradictory
statements. (See also Irish hurricane s.v. sense A. 2c.)

It gives several examples that confirm the 'back to front' description, I like this one best:

OED quoting 1970 R. Hill Clubbable Woman vi. 192 said:
'Marcus wouldn't dare to tell a lie like that unless it was true!'
'Irish,' said Pascoe.

Irish bull has an entry in wiki with some hilarious examples:

wiki quoting Sir Boyle Roche (paraphrased) said:
Why should we do anything for posterity? What has posterity ever done for us?
 
Last edited:
Hehe, that's pretty funny. Yeah the same thing I suppose. I wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't where the term comes from, ie it has an Irish derivation, they are rather famous for sending themselves up. My Grandmother was an Irish Romany Gypsy. :smile: Ever seen Snatch, they're like them but richer and more culturally snobbish. They'd probably look down on the "pikeys" in that movie. To them they would use it as racial slur, oddly enough. :smile: Don't ask me why but her familly disowned her for marrying outside of Gypsy stock. People are weird.
 
Last edited:
Dont shrink me you gypsy. Take my moneyyyy. I will steal your tears. Hello vanilla face, high five.
 
Schrödinger's Dog said:
Ever seen Snatch, they're like them but richer and more culturally snobbish. They'd probably look down on the "pikeys" in that movie. To them they would use it as racial slur, oddly enough. :smile: Don't ask me why but her familly disowned her for marrying outside of Gypsy stock. People are weird.
Or the TV show 'The Riches' with Minnie Driver and Eddie Izzard?
 
DaveC426913 said:
Or the TV show 'The Riches' with Minnie Driver and Eddie Izzard?

Not seen it but maybe I should...