Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

So You Think You Know Christopher Columbus?

1. Sep 21, 2012 #1
    In fifteen days, America will be celebrating Christopher Columbus's arrival in 1492. Does it deserve to be celebrated? I don't think so. Read the essay I have attached for info on why I don't think so.

Tell me what you think. Do you agree with me? Am I using proper grammar?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2012 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

To be honest, it is a bit simple in its tone and execution. Is this from an assignment for school?

It would be much stronger and more compelling if you cited a few historical references (not a wikipedia-type reference, but an original source) to support your points. You could add a few more quotes, and give links to the sources, for example. Especially for PF consumption, it is always best to give a link to the source of quotes that you use.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  4. Feb 17, 2013 #3
    First of all, that is not an essay, that is some tiny paragraphs. Second of all, I agree with your point, the best description I've ever read for Columbus was:
    EDIT: sorry about not censoring out the profanity, although perhaps that message has greater effect. :)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  5. May 10, 2014 #4
    Yeah I concede with the comments above. This was very poorly written and not persuading In the slightest. I think it should be celebrated just out of tradition and if we could decide again maybe not have dedicated a day for him.

6. Jul 26, 2014 #5
    If you want to read interesting and poetic attacks against Columbus read latin amaerican literature.

Of the most interesting attacks was in:
    Open Veins five centuries of rape and plunder of a continent

And Genesis

Both are by the same author Eduardo Galeano.

Of notable mentio is Carlos Fuentes the Buried Mirror and one of his other books forgot which one.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook