So You Want To Be A Physicist Discussion

In summary, the series has almost reached the end of its intended purpose. At this point, I'm looking over it to plug some holes into areas that I may have missed, or didn't emphasize enough. So any suggestions you have will definitely be welcomed. I've also started (although haven't gotten too far into it yet) a "prequel" to the series to include preparations for someone still in high school. Hopefully, that will be done soon to compliment what I've written already.
ZapperZ said:
BTW, you never stated your career goals. You stated that you don't want to go into Academia, you don't want to teach, you don't want to work in a lab, etc... so what exactly do you want to do with your Ph.D degree in physics?
Zz.
Oh yeah sorry. My career goal right now is to study hard so I can write an interesting baccalaureate thesis. If after that, I'm accepted to grad school, then I plan to pursue a PhD and then move on. I'm not planning on staying in academia, but who knows...

Physics news on Phys.org
tionis said:
Oh yeah sorry. My career goal right now is to study hard so I can write an interesting baccalaureate thesis. If after that, I'm accepted to grad school, then I plan to pursue a PhD and then move on. I'm not planning on staying in academia, but who knows...

Those are your ACADEMIC goals, not CAREER goals. What do you wish to do with your degree? What kind of a career are you looking for?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Those are your ACADEMIC goals, not CAREER goals. What do you wish to do with your degree? What kind of a career are you looking for?

Zz.

The degree is just the icing on the cake. It proves that you have been rigorous in your studies and have met the criteria of the community to do physics in a correct manner like you said. I don't plan to make a career out of it in the sense of working for a university and getting paid for it, if that's what you're asking. I suppose I can continue to do physics independently after I'm done with school. Hopefully by that time, I have learn the process well and have a few connections in the community to bounce ideas back and forth. That is what Garrett Lisi is doing, I think.

tionis said:
The degree is just the icing on the cake. It proves that you have been rigorous in your studies and have met the criteria of the community to do physics in a correct manner like you said. I don't plan to make a career out of it in the sense of working for a university and getting paid for it, if that's what you're asking. I suppose I can continue to do physics independently after I'm done with school. Hopefully by that time, I have learn the process well and have a few connections in the community to bounce ideas back and forth. That is what Garrett Lisi is doing, I think.

How do you propose to make a living? Working at McDonalds?

And do you think it is a good idea to model your life with an exception or an unusual situation, rather than the rule?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
How do you propose to make a living? Working at McDonalds?

Zz.

Well, I rather not discuss my finances in polite company, but that is not going to be a problem for me. BTW, McDonalds was my first job and I thoroughly enjoyed it lol.

Quick question regarding ”Mathematical Methods in the Physical Science”, does the book require a mathematical background beyond high school level math? I'm asking since you mentioned it is intended to be used at the end of 2nd year, so do I need to learn additional math (for example introductory undergraduate level calculus) before delving into this?

Adgorn said:
do I need to learn additional math (for example introductory undergraduate level calculus) before delving into this?
Boas assumes that you have previously studied differential and integral calculus of a single variable, corresponding to Calculus I and II in a typical US university math program, or Advanced Placement (AP) calculus in high school. The book does cover material that is normally in Calculus III: partial differentiation, multiple integrals, and vector analysis (div, grad, curl, etc.).

jtbell said:
Boas assumes that you have previously studied differential and integral calculus of a single variable, corresponding to Calculus I and II in a typical US university math program, or Advanced Placement (AP) calculus in high school. The book does cover material that is normally in Calculus III: partial differentiation, multiple integrals, and vector analysis (div, grad, curl, etc.).

I see, so can't really start it from scratch. Any suggestions for a good book covering Calculus I and II for self-teaching to read before this one?

Try our Science and Math Textbooks forum. Use the forum search feature to look for "Calculus" and see what comes up.

<h2>1. What is the best way to prepare for a career in physics?</h2><p>The best way to prepare for a career in physics is to start by taking as many math and science courses as possible in high school. This will provide a strong foundation for your future studies in physics. Additionally, participating in research opportunities, attending physics seminars and conferences, and networking with other physicists can also be beneficial in preparing for a career in physics.</p><h2>2. What skills are important for a physicist to have?</h2><p>Some important skills for a physicist to have include strong analytical and problem-solving skills, critical thinking abilities, and a proficiency in mathematics. Additionally, excellent communication and collaboration skills are important for working in a team and presenting research findings to others.</p><h2>3. What are the different areas of specialization within the field of physics?</h2><p>Physics is a broad field with many different areas of specialization. Some common areas of physics include astrophysics, biophysics, condensed matter physics, and particle physics. Other areas of specialization include nuclear physics, quantum mechanics, and thermodynamics.</p><h2>4. What are some common career paths for physicists?</h2><p>Physicists can pursue a variety of career paths, including research positions in academia, government, or industry. They can also work in fields such as engineering, finance, or data science. Some physicists also choose to become educators, teaching at the high school or college level.</p><h2>5. What are the current challenges and advancements in the field of physics?</h2><p>One of the current challenges in physics is the search for a unified theory that can explain all physical phenomena. Other challenges include understanding dark matter and dark energy, and developing new technologies such as quantum computing. Some recent advancements in physics include the discovery of the Higgs boson, advancements in renewable energy technology, and progress in quantum computing research.</p>

1. What is the best way to prepare for a career in physics?

The best way to prepare for a career in physics is to start by taking as many math and science courses as possible in high school. This will provide a strong foundation for your future studies in physics. Additionally, participating in research opportunities, attending physics seminars and conferences, and networking with other physicists can also be beneficial in preparing for a career in physics.

2. What skills are important for a physicist to have?

Some important skills for a physicist to have include strong analytical and problem-solving skills, critical thinking abilities, and a proficiency in mathematics. Additionally, excellent communication and collaboration skills are important for working in a team and presenting research findings to others.

3. What are the different areas of specialization within the field of physics?

Physics is a broad field with many different areas of specialization. Some common areas of physics include astrophysics, biophysics, condensed matter physics, and particle physics. Other areas of specialization include nuclear physics, quantum mechanics, and thermodynamics.

4. What are some common career paths for physicists?

Physicists can pursue a variety of career paths, including research positions in academia, government, or industry. They can also work in fields such as engineering, finance, or data science. Some physicists also choose to become educators, teaching at the high school or college level.

5. What are the current challenges and advancements in the field of physics?

One of the current challenges in physics is the search for a unified theory that can explain all physical phenomena. Other challenges include understanding dark matter and dark energy, and developing new technologies such as quantum computing. Some recent advancements in physics include the discovery of the Higgs boson, advancements in renewable energy technology, and progress in quantum computing research.