Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Social Networking vs Social Media?

1. Mar 26, 2015 #1
    Hey guys, I was given a task which is to present how social media works. After hours of preparing materials, I realized that the materials I've prepared are on how social networks work.

Then I started to Google to understand the difference between Social Media and Social Network. However, different sources have different definitions, and it isn't very clear.

Could anyone please explain the difference ? When I Google "How social media works", all I get is 'Social Network' instead.

Your reply is very much appreciated :)

*I'm not a very bright person.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2015 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

What does media mean to you?

Do you think there has ever been networking before the advent of Facebook and the like?

4. Mar 26, 2015 #3
    Social networks in some form have existed way back into prehistory.
    A village community, or even some organised cave dwellers are a social network.
    Modern social media websites are just a particular case of social networking.

5. Mar 26, 2015 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Rootone, did you figure I didn't know that? I was trying to lead HIM to that, not spoon feed him the answer.

6. Mar 26, 2015 #5
    My apologies, of course I expected you knew that phinds.
    My intention was simply to directly answer the question, since I took it to be essentially just a question about clarification of English terminology.

7. Mar 26, 2015 #6

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Guess it could have been. I took it to be a more fundamental confusion, since he said he had read a fair amount about it but still didn't get it.

8. Mar 26, 2015 #7

OCR

Without a peer reviewed reference source... that statement could be considered speculation... :-p

9. Mar 26, 2015 #8
    The way I see it is quite simple. Social networking now includes the use of social media.

10. Mar 26, 2015 #9

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

What were those materials about, specifically?

11. Mar 27, 2015 #10
    Thanks a bunch ! That clears up some things.

Well it's basically how Social Networks work on the Internet. And yes, I have found my embarrassing mistake after all these replies.

I was naive enough to think that the term 'network' only applies to tech systems, and fail to recognize the actual definition of it which is "a group or system of interconnected PEOPLE or things."

12. Mar 27, 2015 #11
    Social media is posted on a social network

13. Mar 27, 2015 #12

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Didn't you get that backwards? Social networks have been around since before social media existed. You are looking at it from the hardware point of view, I guess.

14. Mar 27, 2015 #13
    Could be a matter of definitions

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook