Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Software for making Physics charts and chemistry charts?

1. Jun 12, 2014 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2014 #2
    Hi christian0710,

personally I actually use Photoshop for such things, but you could have a look at some vector graphics editors (a comparison is here), personally I have used e.g. CorelDRAW and/or Inkscape. Inkscape is free and available here. I don't do much graphics nowadays, so somebody else may have other better suggestions, perhaps, I don't know.

4. Jun 13, 2014 #3

wukunlin

Gold Member

I believe it is also possible to make them in LaTeX, but I'm not sure how practical that is.

5. Jun 13, 2014 #4

adjacent

Gold Member

I don't think you can make this using latex
    SubwayDiagram.gif

6. Jun 13, 2014 #5

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You could do it with the pstricks package, or (probably better) use Asymptote to generate the graphics plus all the capabilities of LaTeX for the typesetting.
    http://asymptote.sourceforge.net/

There are LaTeX packages to draw the chemistry diagrams in the other two examples, but I'm not a chemist. http://latex-community.org/know-how/434-chemistry-molecules

7. Jun 13, 2014 #6

adjacent

Gold Member

I would rather do it using Microsoft paint. Doing that with latex will take too much time.

8. Jun 13, 2014 #7

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The problem with doing something like this in MS paint is that "what you see is all you get". If you need to change the format, or make it fit on a different shape of paper, you probably have to start again.

On the other hand with LaTeX you are not drawing the picture, you are writing a set of instructions to draw the picture. Most of that diagram is repetitions of a box with text inside and more text surrounding it. Define how to draw that pattern once, and you don't have to do much more than type in all the text.

It's easy to make the lines join the correct boxes, and automatically stop neatly at the edge of the circles etc, even if you change the layout. OK, you will have to route some the more wiggly lines between the text yourself, but you don't have to do that "carefully" with a mouse, just define a few points and let the software draw nice looking curves..

LaTeX is a lot more powerful than just "something for writing math equations".

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook