Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Software/Hardware Errors on Startup

1. Oct 29, 2007 #1

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My parents PC is having a problem I've never encountered before and I have no idea what could be causing it. Just wondering if anyone here had experienced anything similar.

The PC is running windows XP service pack 2. It seems to start up fine but when you sign into your desktop there are loads of application errors like Rundll32.exe and all the usual startup stuff. After that its unusable since windows explorer keeps crashing. Apparently before this occured they were updating WMP 10 to WMP 11. Also the error box states there was an I/O error status in 0x000009c.

I've had a good look on the internet for similar problems but nothing is quite the same. Hopefully one of you guys will have some knowledge about whats happening :smile:

Anyway I'm thinking its either hard drive or memory but I haven't got any spares to test at the minute or something to do with that download. Any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2007 #2
    well, it could be just windows XP... re-installing it may solve your problem.

but before you do that, it's very easy to check if your RAM and H.D. are fine -
    use Ultimate Boot CD (http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html)
    use memtest86 and one of the H.D. diagnostic tools...

4. Oct 29, 2007 #3

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Cool I'll give it a try.

5. Oct 29, 2007 #4

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you think XP system restore is enabled and you could use is to revert the system to a state preceding the perhaps problematic update (you can access it via safe mode if can't get it going after logged in)? If nothing hardware related is found. Then might continue doing a repair install using the XP setup disk as a next option (and don't know if you can get something going with the recovery console in this case, just a thought), although that's probably getting close to the effort of pulling a re-install (depending on how much stuff you've got in there .... and need to backup everything before starting those repair etc. operations).

6. Oct 29, 2007 #5

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I should of mentioned I tried a system restore from week before the update but the problem persisted.

7. Oct 29, 2007 #6
    How old is the hard drive in that computer? The 0x000009c I/O error makes me want to think that there is a bad sector on the hard drive... corrupted data.

8. Oct 29, 2007 #7

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Its only a couple of years old but I'm beginning to suspect the same. There were initial concerns with the hard disk when it was built. I'll be having another look tomorrow when I go there.

9. Oct 29, 2007 #8

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Have you tried starting up in safe mode and running the disk check under the Tools window. If XP doens't allow it during operation in Windows, it usually allows one to schedule it on startup.

I have a problem with bad RAM recently which could be consistent with a low number like 0x000009c.

10. Oct 29, 2007 #9

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have tried it in safe mode and the same problem persists while in safe mode so I can't do anything. I'm now pretty sure its the hard disk but I'll find out tomorrow when I check it with the boot CD.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

11. Oct 30, 2007 #10

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well I have had another quick look earlier today at the PC and it does appear to be a hard drive problem. The motherboard is claiming the hard disk is bad and needs replacing on start up now so hopefully I can salvage the data and fit a new one at the weekend.

Thanks again for the suggestions I really was stumped to begin with.

12. Oct 30, 2007 #11

Astronuc

With regard to RAM, I had to remove the memory stick, clean it (and dry it), and then replace. I had the computer running again for a few hours before it froze. It's replacement should arrive tomorrow.

If you get a new HD, you'll have to install the OS and Apps. I've done a copy of the XP to a new and larger HD, but the OS was already screwed up having had the XP SP2 update done on top of SP1. Not a good idea - but MS never warned people not to do that. That's the OS that's gone bad at home.

13. Oct 30, 2007 #12

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think I'll just salvage the documents if i can then re-install everything rather than try and transfer the lot. I don't mind the extra time it takes. :smile:

14. Oct 31, 2007 #13

Astronuc

Jump the bad HD to slave and put it in a docking station or caddy (USB).

A new HD can get a system with a fresh install which is the best way to start.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?