Software Upgrade: Prepare for Changes & Bugs

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, the forum may be down for a few hours early next week, new features and lots of bugs fixed, and the blogs may not be compatible.
Evo said:
The things I do for people. :smile:

I am now visible.

Now there is a moment in PF history. Its a long time since I've seen online under your name.

Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
put on some sun block! it's been years since you've seen the light! :eek:
Rats, smoke is rising off of my skin... I should have remembered to wait until after sunset.

Kurdt said:
Now there is a moment in PF history. Its a long time since I've seen online under your name.
Take a screen shot, not likley to happen again for a long time. :biggrin:

Evo said:
The things I do for people. :smile:

I am now visible.

Wow! :biggrin:

As at 23.39 (my time), you did not appear when I refreshed my profile. :smile:

tiny-tim said:

Great, now I know how to creep around: thanks TT and Evo! :smile:

tiny-tim said:

So, you may stalk at will!

And I am invisible once more.

For the record... :wink:

Attachments

• Untitled-1.png
    Untitled-1.png
    4.1 KB · Views: 434
Borek said:
For the record... :wink:
Wow, caught. :-p

Greg Bernhardt said:
put on some sun block! it's been years since you've seen the light! :eek:

:smile:

Before the upgrade, there was a button at the bottom of every page allowing you to return to the previous page (or any page higher in the forum tree). Is there any plans to put this back in? It's more convenient than scrolling to the top.

Will you be bringing back the preview button (the little plus sign that let's you see the first post of a thread)? I was a fan of that.

Helical said:
Will you be bringing back the preview button (the little plus sign that let's you see the first post of a thread)? I was a fan of that.

Seconded … that saved me a lot of time :smile: (after someone told me what it was! :rolleyes:)

tiny-tim said:
Seconded … that saved me a lot of time :smile: (after someone told me what it was! :rolleyes:)

yeah I'll look into it

NeoDevin said:
Before the upgrade, there was a button at the bottom of every page allowing you to return to the previous page (or any page higher in the forum tree). Is there any plans to put this back in? It's more convenient than scrolling to the top.

Are you talking about The Incredibly Handy Navigator Drop-Box? Because I miss that, too.
Congrats on the upgrade, Greg!

mbrmbrg said:
Are you talking about The Incredibly Handy Navigator Drop-Box? Because I miss that, too.
Congrats on the upgrade, Greg!

That's the one I'm talking about. Every time I finish reading a thread, I go looking for it, and when I don't find it a little piece of me dies inside.

PS. Other than that, the upgrade seems to be progressing smoothly, good job Greg!

There are several features in the old forum software which are absent in this one, such as previewing the first post in a thread. Would these features be re-implemented?

Defennder said:
There are several features in the old forum software which are absent in this one, such as previewing the first post in a thread. Would these features be re-implemented?

yes that will be reinstalled soon, what else is missing?

edit: the first post preview is back up

Last edited:
If you collapse the side windows on your own profile, there doesn't seem to be a way to open them back up. I've logged out and back in, cleared everything in firefox, and they're still closed with no way to open them. I'm using the beta version of firefox 3 if that makes a difference.

Vid said:
If you collapse the side windows on your own profile, there doesn't seem to be a way to open them back up. I've logged out and back in, cleared everything in firefox, and they're still closed with no way to open them. I'm using the beta version of firefox 3 if that makes a difference.

FF3 has caused issues with PF. I would revert back to FF2 until FF3 is ready.

I like the new feature that lists all posts made in the past 24 hours (Get Posts --> Today's Posts)

Thank you Greg!

-- Mark

Redbelly98 said:
I like the new feature that lists all posts made in the past 24 hours (Get Posts --> Today's Posts)

Thank you Greg!

-- Mark

I don't think that's a new feature, just a new label for "New Posts" or something like that (I didn't use it very often to remember).

How does "Approve Comments" in the blog, work?
I posted a comment and it did not show up.
jal

jal said:
How does "Approve Comments" in the blog, work?
I posted a comment and it did not show up.
jal

I've approved your comment.

It seems as though you can select whether or not comments are moderated when you post a new entry in your blog: make sure you don't select the "moderate comments before displaying" option if you want comments to be automatically approved. I presume you can also manually approve comments to your own blog yourself (have to wait for Greg to tell us whether this is right or wrong, though, since I only know what I've managed to find out through playing around!)

Moonbear said:
I don't think that's a new feature, just a new label for "New Posts" or something like that (I didn't use it very often to remember).

Nope, "Today's Posts" is different than "New Posts". Both appear if you simply click on "Get Posts" at the top of any page in here.

tiny-tim said:
Yes!

I often check on people's profiles, for one reason or another … I'd prefer they didn't know … and they'd probably prefer they didn't know! :smile:

(A record of visits to a blog seems reasonable … but why to the profile?)

Ha! I look at people's profiles all the time - mostly because I have poor memory (though when I meet people in person I don't have this problem at all!). Oh and I'm snoopy, too :smile: . So, fair warning...my name might appear on your "recently visited" list!