Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Soil displaced and depth of a pile

1. Oct 9, 2011 #1
    When i hit a pile with a hammer and a certain kinetic energy is transfered to the pile.
    How can i calculate how deep it will go in relation to the force applied?
    It seems to me that the earth must have some sort of resistance and that the force applied must overcome the earthreisitance on the bottom of the pile but also the friction forces that is applied to the rest of the area that is in the ground.
    I have no idea, but it seems o be something with penetration and solid mechanics.

Thx for all help!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2011 #2
    You are correct.
    The pile has to displace a certain amount of earth, soil with each hit.
    And there are friction forces between the soil and the surface of the pile, which is what when you are finished driving the pile, hold the pile in place.
    In addition, in some cases bouyancy forces come into play, which want to push the pile out of the ground.

Cival engineering would have tables of soil conditions and formulas to determine the force to drive a pile and hold it in place.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook