Soil that expands when it dries?

• Lawn/Garden
  • Thread starter Stephen Tashi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Soil
In summary, there are grout formulations and demolition recipes that can be used to expand soil and break up concrete slabs. However, there is no known soil that expands when dry, but hydrophobic cellulose is a material that can expand when dried and then wet again, although its strength may be a concern. This information was found through a Google search and further reading can be found in the provided links.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
TL;DR Summary
Is there a type of soil that expands when it dries?
Is there a type of soil that expands when it dries? The reason I'm curious is that such a soil would be useful for back filling voids under concrete slabs.

Physics news on Phys.org
Rather exotic, but hydrophobic cellulose expands upon drying, by a factor of 4 or 6 the first time it gets wet then dries. After a few wet-dry cycles it seems to settle around 3.5 times. Just a quick look shows the extra volume may be air, so strength could be a problem for your application.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10570-015-0645-8
Also some more info at:
https://www.semanticscholar.org/pap...jado/3b8b1e4ca8bcc4eea96f819bf329d6999e58720f
(above found with a Google search of: material that expa
I just entered the above string and picked one of Google's search suggestions.)

Cheers,
Tom

• Informative
Likes anorlunda
There are several grout formulations used for this purpose (popular in sinkhole country). There are also recipes used for actual demolition - they expand so much that they break up the slab/rock under which they are injected. I'm not aware of any 'soil' that expands when dry, but the soil from my garden seems to uniformly distribute around the interior of my house if I don't properly wipe my feet (according to my wife).

1. What causes soil to expand when it dries?

Soil that expands when it dries is typically composed of clay minerals that have the ability to absorb water and expand. This expansion is due to the structure of clay particles, which have a high surface area and can attract and hold onto water molecules.

2. How does soil expansion affect plant growth?

Soil expansion can have negative effects on plant growth. When the soil dries and expands, it creates air pockets and can cause the soil to become too loose, making it difficult for plants to establish strong root systems. This can also lead to poor water and nutrient uptake, hindering plant growth.

3. Can soil expansion cause damage to buildings or structures?

Yes, soil expansion can cause damage to buildings and structures. When the soil dries and expands, it can exert pressure on the foundation of a building, causing cracks or other structural damage. This is especially common in areas with high clay content in the soil.

4. How can soil expansion be prevented?

Soil expansion can be prevented by properly preparing the soil before construction or planting. This includes compacting the soil and adding organic matter to improve its structure. Proper drainage and irrigation can also help prevent soil expansion.

5. Is soil expansion a common issue?

Soil expansion is a common issue, especially in areas with high clay content in the soil. It can also be exacerbated by changes in climate, such as periods of drought followed by heavy rainfall. It is important to understand the properties of the soil in a specific area to prevent potential issues with soil expansion.