Solar Cells - Is there anyone here involved in research, production, hobby, etc

In summary, the conversation discusses a paper being written for a solar cells course and the question of where to shine light on a p-n junction for efficiency. The person is looking for a baseline and help with finding data on the real-world usage of solar cells. They also mention the factors of cost, solar efficiency, and the functioning of p-on-n and n-on-p solar cells. Finally, they narrow down their questions to which embodiment is used in commercial and residential solar cells, and where to find data on solar technology.
FrogPad
I have an upcoming paper to write for my solar cells course. The question is something along the lines of, if we have a p-n junction which side should we shine the light on for efficiency? Should it shine on the p side or the n side? Efficiency at this point is defined loosely, and can range from anything to solar efficiency to financial.

I need a baseline to compare my results. So I need to know what is used in the real world. I'm not asking for a reason why they are used that way. I'll figure this out myself.

Any help would be great here. Even pointing me in the right direction would be nice. Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
From a fiscal point of view:running cost, maintenance cost (replacing cells etc..) and initial cost is obviously the optimum values to try and minimize.

That being said, You will need to investigate the optimum way to set up, run and maintain the solar cells, with a respect to cost. This could be comparisons between installations on a roof/installations on a separate structure or the optimum running voltage/current.

For solar efficiency, you will simply need to find where the cells would collect the maximum sunlight for the largest period of time possible.

Those should help you start.

Thanks AndreJ for the reply. I will keep that in mind when I talk about the fiscal aspect of operating a solar array.

The professor finally posted the exact problem statement. Here it is in a nutshell:

(1) Restrict yourself to a single crystal Si solar cell.

(2) Which is a more suitable embodiment:
2.a) p-on-n
2.b) n-on-p

define "suitable embodiment" as a factor of:
a) higher short-circuit current
b) higher fill factor
c) other relevant metrics

(3) Get data for the "suitable embodiment" by solving the diffusion equation with appropriate assumptions. Assumptions such as:
3.a) monochromatic sun
3.b) sensible values for: absorption coefficient, lifetimes, mobilities, etc...
I will narrow my questions down a bit from my previous post:

1) Is p-on-n or n-on-p used in commercial, or residential solar cells?

2) How can I find data on the gory details of solar technology actually used?
(note: I have not actually spent the time to look. I will do this, so if you know off the top of your head, and wouldn't mind responding that would be fantastic.)

Most pictures I have seen show the extra electrons flowing in the top layer (so n-on-p). If you think about it, the extra electrons in the n-doped silica are the ones that have to be excited, therefore they should be on top to receive maximal sunlight.

dmoravec said:
Most pictures I have seen show the extra electrons flowing in the top layer (so n-on-p). If you think about it, the extra electrons in the n-doped silica are the ones that have to be excited, therefore they should be on top to receive maximal sunlight.

Thanks dmoravec. You make a good point.

1. What are solar cells and how do they work?

Solar cells, also known as photovoltaic cells, are devices that convert sunlight into electricity. They are made of semiconductor materials, such as silicon, that absorb photons from sunlight and release electrons, generating an electric current.

2. What are the different types of solar cells?

There are several types of solar cells, including monocrystalline, polycrystalline, thin-film, and hybrid. Monocrystalline cells are made from a single crystal of silicon and are the most efficient. Polycrystalline cells are made from multiple crystals and are slightly less efficient. Thin-film cells are made from layers of different materials and are cheaper to produce but less efficient. Hybrid cells combine different technologies to improve efficiency and cost-effectiveness.

3. What is the current state of solar cell research?

Solar cell research is an active and growing field. Scientists are constantly working to improve the efficiency and cost-effectiveness of solar cells, as well as exploring new materials and technologies. Some current areas of research include perovskite solar cells, which have shown promising efficiency gains, and tandem cells, which combine different types of solar cells for higher efficiency.

4. How are solar cells used in everyday life?

Solar cells are used in a variety of applications, from powering homes and businesses to providing electricity for remote areas and powering satellites in space. They can also be found in smaller devices, such as calculators and solar-powered phone chargers. Additionally, solar cells are a key component in renewable energy systems, helping to reduce our reliance on fossil fuels.

5. How can I get involved in solar cell research or production?

There are many ways to get involved in solar cell research or production. You can pursue a degree in a related field, such as materials science or electrical engineering, and work for a company or research institution that specializes in solar cells. You can also participate in community projects or workshops focused on solar energy. Additionally, there are opportunities to volunteer or intern with organizations that promote renewable energy and solar cell research.