Affordable Solar Panels: A Step-by-Step Guide

In summary, the conversation is about building a solar panel at an affordable price. The first person suggests buying pre-made panels or buying used ones, possibly in bulk with others. The second person mentions a YouTube video series on making inexpensive panels and suggests looking for more content on the subject. The third person asks for recommendations on a good brand for used panels and a link to an article on buying used and surplus panels is shared. The conversation then shifts to discussing the size of the panel.
Damon Roach
Hi, is there anyone can help me how to build a solar panel in a very affordable price?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Damon Roach said:
Hi, is there anyone can help me how to build a solar panel in a very affordable price?

Why? They are not that expensive and if you look around you can probably find used ones that have a lot of life left at low cost. I'd be surprised if you can shave much off the cost by attempting to assemble panels yourself.

Damon Roach said:
I'm not really sure what your need is, but I think most people are far better of buying pre made panes. If you can find other people in your area who want some maybe you can combining your orders in order to buy in bulk and save some money. Or you can try used ones like the poster above suggested. As for making your own inexpensive panels I've never done it, but I know one person on YouTube who talks about it. Here is the first in a six part serious of videos giving instructions on the subject.

I'm sure you could find a lot more of such content if you looked for it.

Last edited:
Ken Fabos said:
Why? They are not that expensive and if you look around you can probably find used ones that have a lot of life left at low cost. I'd be surprised if you can shave much off the cost by attempting to assemble panels yourself.
Evanish said:
I'm not really sure what your need is, but I think most people are far better of buying pre made panes. If you can find other people in your area who want some maybe you can combining your orders in order to buy in bulk and save some money. Or you can try used ones like the poster above suggested. As for making your own inexpensive panels I've never done it, but I know one person on YouTube who talks about it. Here is the first in a six part serious of videos giving instructions on the subject.

I'm sure you could find a lot more of such content if you looked for it.

Hi, thank you very, for the quick response. I just want to take my time to study and watched the video that you post; it helps lots to me.

Ken Fabos said:
Hi, thank you. I hope I can find a place that selling a used one, can you suggest a good brand?

I split this sub-discussion out. Please keep threads on topic and open new threads for new topics.

Damon Roach said:
Hi, thank you. I hope I can find a place that selling a used one, can you suggest a good brand?
Here is a link to an article that talks about buying used and surplus panels.

How big a panel do you want to make?

1. What are the benefits of using solar panels?

Solar panels have numerous benefits, including reducing electricity costs, reducing carbon footprint, and providing a reliable source of renewable energy. They also require minimal maintenance and have a long lifespan, making them a cost-effective investment.

2. How much do solar panels cost?

The cost of solar panels varies depending on the size and type of panel. On average, a residential solar panel system can range from $10,000 to $30,000. However, there are many government incentives and tax credits available that can significantly reduce the cost.

3. How do I determine if my home is suitable for solar panels?

The most important factor in determining if your home is suitable for solar panels is the amount of sunlight it receives. Ideally, your roof should face south and have minimal shading from trees or buildings. You should also consider the condition and angle of your roof, as well as any local regulations or restrictions.

4. What is the installation process for solar panels?

The installation process for solar panels typically involves the following steps:

• Site assessment and design
  • Obtaining necessary permits and approvals
  • Installation of panel mounting system
  • Installation of panels and wiring
  • Connection to the electrical grid

5. How can I maintain my solar panels?

Solar panels require minimal maintenance, but it is important to keep them clean and free of debris. You should also regularly check for any damage or defects and have them repaired as needed. It is also recommended to have a professional inspection every few years to ensure optimal performance.