Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solar thermal collectors in parallel

1. Mar 8, 2016 #1
    I am using TRYNSYS software to simulate solar thermal cooling. I need to install many solar thermal panels (evacuated tubes) in parallel. However, there is no feature to do that automatically in the software; so I can only add them manually with complex piping and stuff. So my question is:
    Is installing multiple solar thermal panels in parallel is the same as having a one huge panel with an area of the summed areas of the multiple panels? Because if this true, I can just increase the size of the panels in the software and my problem will be solved.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2016 #2

jambaugh

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I would say "yes" in principle, provided the piping is scaled to handle the additional flow and you add flow rates on the specs (if that's a parameter). I am not familiar with what parameters TRYNSYS uses but a brief glance at the spec sheets at solarpanelplus.com does not appear to bother with internal layout (whether individual tubes are connected in parallel or serially) so why should you?

4. Mar 12, 2016 #3
    Thanks Jambaugh, So I can safely assume that doubling the area of a single collector (with increasing tubes diameters) will have the same effect of having two panels connected in parallel?

5. Mar 15, 2016 #4

jambaugh

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

6. Mar 22, 2016 #5
    Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted