1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Soleniod Field Direction With Battery

1. Jul 15, 2006 #1

I am very confused that when a solenoid is attached with a battery then where its lines of forces will be directed? ie from +ve to -ve or from -ve to +ve ?
    I ahve visited these two websites but both have different answers for same situation.

So guide me.

Rizwan Khalil
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your first link does not work.
    The second link shows the correct direction of the magnetic field (these should not be called "lines of force") given the direction of the current shown. Using the fact that the current flows out of the positive terminal of a battery an dinto the negative terminal of the battery you can tell that (if you look at the "electromagnet" picture shown at the bottom of the website), the bottom wire would be connected to the positive terminal of the battery and the top wire would be connected to the negative terminal of the battery.

Hope this helps

4. Jul 15, 2006 #3

Staff: Mentor

Hi adabistanesoophia, and welcome to PF. Have you learned how to use the Right Hand Rule yet to tell you which way the magnetic field lines are directed around a current? That's the easiest way to keep the directions straight.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?