1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic hysteresis loop area meaning

1. Sep 11, 2015 #1
    Let's consider the Magnetic hysteresis loop of a certain material: this is an example. In many sites and books it is written that its area is proportional to the energy wasted as heat, so [itex]A = kE_d[/itex].
    In particular, that area "is related to the amount of energy dissipation upon reversal of the field" (this is the source). I would like to ask some clarifications:

1) When exactly is that energy dissipated? When the impressed magnetic field [itex]\mathbf{H}[/itex] decreases from the saturation point or when [itex]\mathbf{H}[/itex] increases till the saturation point?
    2) How can be circuitally represented that energy dissipation in the circuit of a transformer like this?
    3) Maybe [itex]E_d[/itex] can be obtained as an integral. If [itex]A = kE_d[/itex], what are the steps needed to mathematically show this result and which is the meaning of [itex]k[/itex]? (If a link is more convenient than directly typing the steps, it would be excellent as well)
    I can't see how dimensionally can be obtained an energy quantity (Joule) from A/m ([itex]\mathbf{H}[/itex]) and from Tesla ([itex]\mathbf{B}[/itex]).

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2015 #2

Hesch

Gold Member

Magnetic energy density ( Ed ) = ½*B*H [ J/m3 ]. So Ed = 0 in b, c, e, f in the attached figure and has a max value i a, d.

If the area of the hysterisis curve = 0, no energy will be dissipated as per cycle.

Units: B*H = [N/(Am)] * [ A/m ] = [ N/m2 ] = Nm/m3 = [ J/m3 ]

4. Oct 7, 2015 #3
    Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook