Solenoid homework question

In summary, to find the number of turns of wire on a solenoid carrying a current of 4.9 A, with a diameter of 17 cm and length of 248 cm, and a magnetic field of 2.9 × 10-3 T at the center, we use the formula B=n*u0*I and solve for N. After plugging in the values, we divide by the length and get a result of 1168 turns.
ahazen
How many turns of wire would be on a solenoid carrying a current 4.9 A if the solenoid is 17 cm in diameter, 248 cm long, and the field at the center is 2.9 × 10-3 T?

I can't seem to get the right answer...

I plug the values into B=n*u0*I and then solve for N.
I know that n=N/length

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello ahazen,

What answer are you getting? (You need to show your work. :wink:)

I plug in: 2.9e-3=n(4*pi*10^-7)(4.9)
and then solve for n.
Then i divide by the length.

I keep getting something like 1899, 1.899, 18.99 depending on how i write the length (248, or .248, or .0248).

Thank you for your help:) I figured it out.:) I took B*L=N u0*I and solve for N to get 1168 turns.

and u0=4*pi*10^-7, but when I solve for N, I get a very large number (approximately 3.5 x 10^10).

Firstly, it is important to note that the formula B=n*u0*I is for the magnetic field strength at the center of a solenoid. In order to calculate the number of turns of wire on a solenoid, we need to use the formula N=n*I*L, where N is the number of turns, n is the number of turns per unit length, I is the current, and L is the length of the solenoid.

Using this formula, we can rearrange it to solve for n, which is the number of turns per unit length. Substituting the given values, we get n= B/(u0*I)= (2.9 × 10-3 T)/(4*pi*10^-7 * 4.9 A) = 1.48 x 10^4 turns/m.

Next, we need to find the total number of turns on the solenoid by multiplying n by the length of the solenoid. This gives us N= (1.48 x 10^4 turns/m) * (248 cm/100 cm) = 3.67 x 10^6 turns.

Therefore, the solenoid would have approximately 3.67 million turns of wire in order to carry a current of 4.9 A and have a magnetic field strength of 2.9 × 10-3 T at its center. I would recommend double checking your calculations to ensure accuracy.

1. What is a solenoid?

A solenoid is a coil of wire that produces a magnetic field when an electric current is passed through it. It is often used in electronic devices such as electromagnets, relays, and speakers.

2. How does a solenoid work?

When an electric current flows through the wire in a solenoid, it creates a magnetic field. The strength of the magnetic field depends on the number of turns in the coil and the amount of current. This magnetic field can then be used to move objects or control other electrical components.

3. What are some applications of solenoids?

Solenoids have a wide range of applications in various industries. They are commonly used in HVAC systems, automotive parts, and medical equipment. Solenoids are also used in locks, automatic door systems, and vending machines.

4. How do I calculate the strength of a solenoid's magnetic field?

The strength of a solenoid's magnetic field can be calculated using the equation B = μ0 * (n * I) / l, where B is the magnetic field strength, μ0 is the permeability of free space, n is the number of turns in the coil, I is the current, and l is the length of the solenoid.

5. What are some factors that affect the performance of a solenoid?

The performance of a solenoid can be affected by several factors, such as the number of turns in the coil, the current passing through the wire, the size of the solenoid, and the magnetic properties of the core material. Temperature and external magnetic fields can also impact the performance of a solenoid.